My on screen battery life has fallen from 5.5 hours to 1.5 hours. PLEASE HELP

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I don't know why but my on screen battery life has dropped from 5.5 to 1.5 hours. My phone is Huawei mate 10 lite and it's only 2 months old. Please help.

I have done A TON OF RESEARCHING IN SETTINGS AND I HAVE FOUND 2 WEIRD THINGS

1) My settings battery page shows wifi to be almost always on, even though my wifi is off 60% irl.

2) Accubattery states that i have 56% per hour discharging speed now. It did not use to be like this.

I have screenshots of above mentioned problems. But I don't know how to upload the pics.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html. You'll have to register on this forum first. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
To upload pics, you have to register an account here.

As for the battery, if you regularly discharge it almost all the way, the phone might be in need of a new battery. 40% is the cutoff - if you can't charge it or use a power pack at that point, turn the phone off.

tisbutawriter

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
My on-screen battery life has dropped from 5.5 hours to 1.5 hours. HELP

I already posted here. But after making an account. I cannot reply to the other answers there.

My phone is Huawei mate 10 lite and it's only 2 months old. I do not charge more than 80% nor let it drop less than 40%

I have done A TON OF RESEARCHING IN SETTINGS AND I HAVE FOUND 2 WEIRD THINGS

1) My settings battery page shows wifi to be almost always on, even though my wifi is off 60% irl.

2) Accubattery states that i have 56% per hour discharging speed now. It did not use to be like this.

I have downloaded Gsam battery app and it shows that 76% of my battery is being used by Apps.

Edit :- i am using AC app and it is saying I don't have permission to upload screenshots.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I merged your threads.

Can you use the forum website on a computer? That's the easiest way to post pics in a reply.

If Wi-fi Scanning is turned on, that might explain why it reports wi-fi being on all the time. Wi-fi Scanning is used to improve location accuracy (but I usually turn it off).

tisbutawriter

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
I merged your threads.

Can you use the forum website on a computer? That's the easiest way to post pics in a reply.

If Wi-fi Scanning is turned on, that might explain why it reports wi-fi being on all the time. Wi-fi Scanning is used to improve location accuracy (but I usually turn it off).
Okay I will try to post pics in the reply.

I checked. wifi scanning is turned off

This Gsam Arena's screenshot. It says 72 percent battery is being used by apps.
Screenshot_20190406-170059.jpg

A picture of the battery settings
Screenshot_20190405-212027.jpg

Last edited:

tisbutawriter

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Check above mentioned reply for screenshots. But to clarify, I live in an area with poor cell reception. This is why I keep my sim turned off for the majority of time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that you used to have 5 hours of screen-on time just going from 80% to 40% charge? The typical phone gives you around 5 hours of screen time for all 100% of the battery charge, so if you're habitually going from 80% to 40%, that'd give you about 40% of that total screen on team, which would be about 2 hours.

tisbutawriter

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
Are you saying that you used to have 5 hours of screen-on time just going from 80% to 40% charge? The typical phone gives you around 5 hours of screen time for all 100% of the battery charge, so if you're habitually going from 80% to 40%, that'd give you about 40% of that total screen on team, which would be about 2 hours.
No. Originally while using my phone, i noticed that my battery life had gone down. So I charged up my phone to 100% then measured (with moderate usage) how long it took to finish completely. Thats how i got the 1.5 hour figure.

Obviously when using it from 40 to 80, I used to get around 2 hours of battery life. But i don't even get that anymore.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
That would mean that some app is constantly running in the background and causing the drain.

Did you install any new apps recently? Try uninstalling recently installed apps one at a time until you find the source of the drainage.

tisbutawriter

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
That would mean that some app is constantly running in the background and causing the drain.

Did you install any new apps recently? Try uninstalling recently installed apps one at a time until you find the source of the drainage.
Yeah that's what I thought too. But I haven't installed any app recently. This is why installed gsam battery monitor and gave it permission from adb to get stats. I have attached a screenshot of it in above replies.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that sometimes apps might utilize some component of Android OS, which makes it difficult to pinpoint the app that's truly responsible if you look at the battery stats.

Facebook is notorious for hogging battery and memory, so you might want to try uninstalling Facebook temporarily (you can always access it on the browser).

tisbutawriter

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
The problem is that sometimes apps might utilize some component of Android OS, which makes it difficult to pinpoint the app that's truly responsible if you look at the battery stats.

Facebook is notorious for hogging battery and memory, so you might want to try uninstalling Facebook temporarily (you can always access it on the browser).
Thanks I will try that mate.