Galaxy S9 to mid range?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have decided to get an new phone, ideally within 500 to 550 USD. So that rules out flagships and ideally banishes payment plans. So what are my options?

Features I need

Fingerprint reader
Decent camera (primarily uploads to discord)
Bluetooth
Battery that can keep up with a 6 to 10 lifestyle
Protective accessories available

Nice to have features
Audio jack
Dual cameras (front and/or back)
SD card expansion (option)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Features I need

Fingerprint reader
Most phones.

Decent camera (primarily uploads to discord)
Which? Websites don' need "decent" pictures - a 3MB picture is fine.

Bluetooth
Almost every phone.

Battery that can keep up with a 6 to 10 lifestyle
A power pack. Even some flagships can't do that.

Protective accessories available
Amazon.

Nice to have features
Audio jack
Dual cameras (front and/or back)
Almost all phones.

SD card expansion (option)
Fewer and fewer phones. Look on GSMArena.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Fewer and fewer phones. Look on GSMArena.

GSMArena isn’t the most accurate or reputable site around...they don’t update certain pages which have information that has been proven false in several cases. But for comparing already-released phones it should be fine.

BTW @Javier P the Oneplus 6T doesn’t have a expandable storage via MicroSD either.

If you’re coming from Samsung, then how about a Galaxy A50? It has 3 cameras which aren’t as good as your S9, but it does have ultra wide and they are good enough for social media posts. There’s a big AMOLED screen at 1080p, expandable storage, headphone jack and a big 4000 mAh battery which is enough for an entire day. It has OneUI as well and no Bixby button (but still Bixby) :D Finally it has an in-screen fingerprint reader and facial recognition (2D).

Only downsides compared to the S9 is the Glasstic (glossy plastic) construction which still feels good but means no wireless charging. Display resolution is FHD, down from the QHD. The 3 cameras are more versatile and good enough for daylight and social media but low light photos are average. No water resistance and the big size may be a problem.

It costs around $350...hope that helps!