I have a Samsung S8+ and my gallery fills up with emoji's. I saw a suggestion to add ".nomedia" in my files but I'm not able to download any pictures at all when I want to when I do that.. How do I prevent emojis from being added to my gallery without not being able to download what I want?
    04-16-2019 01:40 PM
    It depends on the app that's downloading them. If it's saving them directly to a media folder, you'll see them in your Gallery. The NOMEDIA file doesn't prevent you from saving images/files to a folder, it just 'hides' them from the Gallery app (basically telling it 'Hey, stuff that's in here? It's not media, so don't display it, ok?'. Apps that download additional image assets should do so to an app folder with this option set. So, if these are appearing on your Gallery, whatever app is downloading them is not properly coded and is saving them directly to a 'non hidden' folder.
    RMBrooks likes this.
    04-16-2019 02:03 PM
    It depends on the app that's downloading them. If it's saving them directly to a media folder, you'll see them in your Gallery. The NOMEDIA file doesn't prevent you from saving images/files to a folder, it just 'hides' them from the Gallery app (basically telling it 'Hey, stuff that's in here? It's not media, so don't display it, ok?'. Apps that download additional image assets should do so to an app folder with this option set. So, if these are appearing on your Gallery, whatever app is downloading them is not properly coded and is saving them directly to a 'non hidden' folder.
    Thanks for your assistance!
    SpookDroid likes this.
    04-17-2019 06:18 PM
    SpookDroid, I'm not sure what app is doing it. Could it be Google Photos since it only happens when I view that app and if so is there anything I could do such as reinstalling it?
    04-20-2019 06:50 AM
    Google Photos doesn't store any emojis, only thumbnails of the images viewed (since they're all in the cloud) OR if you download an image to your device from there.

If it's emojis, it has to be an app that handles that kind of image (messaging apps with stickers, keyboards with stickers and/or GIFs, etc.). Also, you mention it 'only happens' in Photos... do you mean you can only see those emojis when you open Photos (as in 'not there' if you open your Gallery app)? If so, then Photos is probably displaying another folder in your device (to see if any of those are being backed up, just tap the menu button on the left and select DEVICE FOLDERS to see if any are being saved, and also could help see which folder has those emojis).
    04-20-2019 09:26 AM
    Google Photos doesn't store any emojis, only thumbnails of the images viewed (since they're all in the cloud) OR if you download an image to your device from there.

If it's emojis, it has to be an app that handles that kind of image (messaging apps with stickers, keyboards with stickers and/or GIFs, etc.). Also, you mention it 'only happens' in Photos... do you mean you can only see those emojis when you open Photos (as in 'not there' if you open your Gallery app)? If so, then Photos is probably displaying another folder in your device (to see if any of those are being backed up, just tap the menu button on the left and select DEVICE FOLDERS to see if any are being saved, and also could help see which folder has those emojis).
    You are correct, I'll check my Photos device folders, I appreciate your help.
    04-20-2019 12:54 PM