My Samsung Galaxy 8 Active quit showing my contact names

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Have a Samsung J3 2017 (SM327). About a week ago, noticed that incoming & outgoing calls going to/from someone in my Contacts only shows the number, not the Contact name, so I often have no idea who's calling me. But when I hang up and look in the Recent call log, the Contact name shows up correctly there. I have tried every permission, every setting possible. Spent an hour with an ATT tech - nothing. Did a factory restore - nothing. Took it to a Samsumg authorized serviced center and had it completely reflashed. Fixed the prob for 2 days, then reappeared. Any info?

A

Android Central Question

When I receive (or make) a call, the contact doesn't show just the raw phone number

The phone app is successfully linked to my contacts, however, when the phone rings, in that screen where I swipe right to answer or swipe left to decline, all I see is the raw phone number, it doesn't show the contact even though they are a contact - so I have no idea who's calling me, it's like it's 1995 all over again!
When I then look at the call history, the contact shows correctly. I've tried just about everything and am totally stumped. Very frustrating.
Galaxy S8 Active.

This just started randomly the past few days.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: When I receive (or make) a call, the contact doesn't show just the raw phone number

Welcome to Android Central! When you say the Phone app is successfully linked to your contacts, do you mean that you checked the Phone app's Permissions to make sure it has Contacts permission?

Is the number that's showing up exactly the same as the one in your contact entry? Something as minor as a country code can make it not recognize the contact.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Contact names not showing on dialer, but do show in Recents

Have a Samsung J3 2017 (SM327). About a week ago, noticed that incoming & outgoing calls going to/from someone in my Contacts only shows the number, not the Contact name, so I often have no idea who's calling me. But when I hang up and look in the Recent call log, the Contact name shows up correctly there. I have tried every permission, every setting possible. Spent an hour with an ATT tech - nothing. Did a factory restore - nothing. Took it to a Samsumg authorized serviced center and had it completely reflashed. Fixed the prob for 2 days, then reappeared. Any info?
Check if syn is on and also you set up a account for your contacts

touw22

Apr 18, 2019
Visit site
B Diddy.
Yes, that's what I meant. I tried removing permission and it doesn't allow me to make calls at all until I add it back. It happens for every single contact and just started happening out of the blue, so I doubt it's a number mismatch.

Also, as I noted, when I look at the call history, the contact shows up as a missed call with the correct contact, which leads me to believe the mapping is correct. It's only happening on that screen where I have to accept or decline the call.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Android Central Question

I have a galaxy s8 active and for some reason i can't see my contact names

When I make a phone call the contact name does not appear just the person number nor when someone calls me it only shows the phone number even if I have the number saved to my contacts

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: I have a galaxy s8 active and for some reason i can't see my contact names

There have been numerous posts about this over the last day. I don't believe a solution has been reached but I encourage you to join as a member and join the discussion of the issue - maybe you can be everyone else's savior! See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Here's one of those threads - https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...ontact-doesnt-show-just-raw-phone-number.html

A

Android Central Question

Only number shows up when someone from my contats calls or I call them.

Only number shows up when someone from my contats calls or I call them.

steven bass

Apr 18, 2019
Visit site
Re: When I receive (or make) a call, the contact doesn't show just the raw phone number

I have the same issue that started April 17 2019. Gotta be a software issue as I have not made any changes. My brother's number has been the same for years, along with my wife ( different area codes) and these along with all other numbers now show as raw numbers without contact information. All settings remain un changed.

Jon Hardy

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site

Same issues here. So very frustrating. Especially when you depend on knowing who is calling.

A

Android Central Question

Why names does not appear with number when calling and incoming call

Why names does not appear when calling or incoming call

Gumby1978

Apr 18, 2019
Visit site
Re: my s8 active quit showing contacts names when making and receiving calls

I like how most the answers are to send everyone to other threads that go in circles or eventually tell you to do a factory reset!? So why did you send out an update if it was just going to mess up everybody's phones and send them to an Apple store!?

Try this it has worked for a few other phone issues. Contacts, Apps, Phone, Force stop.

Let me know of that fixes it.