Why can't I delete files from my SD Card?

Chi20cho

May 21, 2019
Visit site
I have an LG Aristo 3. I use a 16 GB SD Card in it. And about a week ago I noticed I could no longer take pictures that would save to the SD Card, but could to Internal Storage. Also, I then realized I could not move items in my Gallery to different Albums that were a part of the SD Card. Then, I saw it was full so I proceeded to delete some files and pictures. But even with that (I deleted hundreds of old pictures I didn't need anymore in the Gallery) the SD Card shows that its full, I can't move pictures, save pictures to SD Card and when I tried to delete files in the File Manager I was not able to. It just says "Could not delete files." Why is this happening?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have an LG Aristo 3. I use a 16 GB SD Card in it. And about a week ago I noticed I could no longer take pictures that would save to the SD Card, but could to Internal Storage. Also, I then realized I could not move items in my Gallery to different Albums that were a part of the SD Card. Then, I saw it was full so I proceeded to delete some files and pictures. But even with that (I deleted hundreds of old pictures I didn't need anymore in the Gallery) the SD Card shows that its full, I can't move pictures, save pictures to SD Card and when I tried to delete files in the File Manager I was not able to. It just says "Could not delete files." Why is this happening?
Is your SD card encrypted?

Chi20cho

May 21, 2019
Visit site
Why can't I delete files from SD card?

I have an LG Aristo 3 that I just got in January. I have an SD Card in it of 16 GB. I don't know if it is encrypted or not. But basically starting about a month ago I can't delete picture or files from the SD Card. I have tried restarting my phone with and without the card in it and it hasn't worked. I have take it out and put it back in. When I try to delete things from my gallery that are saved to the SD Card they delete...only to show up again later!!! I don't know why this is happening. Can someone help me?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why can't I delete files from SD card?

If you can delete the files only to have them come back, this is most likely a sync problem. For example, you delete the image files using "gallery" or a file browser, then Google Photos copies the files from the cloud back to your phone because the files on the phone are now "missing".

Check to see what settings you have for the multiple cloud services available.
Check to see if your "gallery" app knows about these cloud services.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Is it only photos that seem to come back, or other files as well, like documents or music files? Do you get an error message saying that the file couldn't be deleted?

If it's only photos that seem to come back, do you only see the photo reappear in the Gallery app? If you use a file manager app, do you see the actual photo file reappear in a directory on the SD card? If it's only in the Gallery app, then as ManiacJoe alluded to, it may just be that your photo was synced to a cloud storage (like Samsung Cloud or Google Photos), and the Gallery app is set to display cloud photos.

Chi20cho

May 21, 2019
Visit site

I have deleted pictures and they seem to be gone now. But now the problem I have is that my SD card still has the same storage used which is 15.4 GB out of the 16 GB. I dont know why it's stayed the same. And I can't transfer videos or pictures that are in albums on Internal Storage to albums that are on SD Card.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Try unmounting and removing the SD card and inserting it into a PC's card reader. What does Windows Explorer show?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta