black screen on certain apps the SECOND TIME it is awaken from sleep: problem after android pie

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have an Xperia XZ premium that i just updated to Android Pie yesterday (long overdue monthly update from last year), and this problem started occurring. So far it only happens to two types of apps: browsers (chrome, firefox, opera beta) and games (pokemon go, modern combat 5, etc).

What happens is that when I have the app on the screen, I press the power button to put the phone to sleep then press it again to wake the phone up...it goes back to the app fine. But if I do the same thing the SECOND TIME (sleep then wake), the screen turns black (status bar and navigation bar still visible). I have to switch the app away then switch back, for the screen to show up. With games, the black screen is full-screen; but with browsers, the black screen is restricted to the webpage area.

The android pie update was distributed with a monthly system update from october/november last year. I have now installed all the overdue monthly system updates to the latest version (april 2019) and the problem still persists. Anyone has a solution? Thank you.

khpy1azn

Apr 24, 2019
Visit site
Im the OP of this question...just to add on some details, I never use any form of lock screen. I tried to add a "swipe to unlock" lockscreen and the problem doesnt occur. So the problem only happens when the phone wakes from sleep and go straight to the app without any lock screen in between.

Also, I would say that more than 90% of the time it happens during the second sleep-wake action, but sometimes it can happen on the third or fourth.

khpy1azn

Apr 24, 2019
Visit site
The problem is that sony phone doesnt have a straightforward way to wipe cache partition. The methods that I find online involve factory resetting the device.

I tried safe mode (chrome).. same problem

Last edited:

khpy1azn

Apr 24, 2019
Visit site
i found a workaround...I am able to hook two apps together so that a black screen is deployed before the phone goes to sleep (kind of acting like the lock screen after screen on). Then later when it wakes, the problem is gone.