Notification sound for text messages is intermittent.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

The title says it all. Most of the time I get the usual notification when I receive a text, however, occasionally I'll get no notification at all. I started as kind of a rare event and is getting worse. What the heck? I've checked all of the settings, turned them all off and on again (thanks IT Crowd!) and still the problem persists. What now?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? Are the missed notification tones only when you have the Messaging app open, or does it also happen when the phone is idle?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
When's the last time you cleared the cache partition and rebooted? Are you sure you have cell coverage where you are? If using Wi-Fi, forget then Rescan and add back. Do the basic things like this whenever you have glitches.

Tom Lombard

Aug 12, 2019
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem on a Samsung Galaxy J7. I've tried these suggestions including a hard reset with no solution. At least 50% or more of my texts have no sound notification.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem on a Samsung Galaxy J7. I've tried these suggestions including a hard reset with no solution. At least 50% or more of my texts have no sound notification.
When you check Settings, Notifications and go into each application, are you confirming they are set to high priority and toggled on? Do you have any power or battery saver modes enabled? Do you leave your Bluetooth on? Are the missed notifications from any and all apps, or just certain ones? Is there a time of day it always alerts and others never?