Last weekend I went to the U.S. from Ontario and after a few km I received a text message from Koodo indicating that I could call an 800 number to purchase prepaid minutes for the U.S. Immediately following the text message my phone (Galaxy S9+ with Android 9) did a factory reset.

I've heard of Google Device Protection that will force a factory reset when the SIM card has been changed, but I was simply driving and it reset anyway. It seems that something about my phone not connecting to the US carrier triggered the reset.

Other people on regular phone plans seem to have no issues, and both Samsung and Koodo tech support were surprised to hear of the issue. I've found only a few other posts on other sites of people running into this problem when they travel out of country. All of them are with Samsung phones.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm on a prepaid (pay-as-you-go) plan, or if its because my S9+ was purchased as an open box unit (may have some old owner info buried somewhere making it look suspect?), but this is very disconcerting.

I'd appreciate any thoughts out there regarding what may have happened.
    04-29-2019 08:47 PM
    Last weekend I went to the U.S. from Ontario and after a few km I received a text message from Koodo indicating that I could call an 800 number to purchase prepaid minutes for the U.S. Immediately following the text message my phone (Galaxy S9+ with Android 9) did a factory reset.

I've heard of Google Device Protection that will force a factory reset when the SIM card has been changed, but I was simply driving and it reset anyway. It seems that something about my phone not connecting to the US carrier triggered the reset.

Other people on regular phone plans seem to have no issues, and both Samsung and Koodo tech support were surprised to hear of the issue. I've found only a few other posts on other sites of people running into this problem when they travel out of country. All of them are with Samsung phones.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm on a prepaid (pay-as-you-go) plan, or if its because my S9+ was purchased as an open box unit (may have some old owner info buried somewhere making it look suspect?), but this is very disconcerting.

I'd appreciate any thoughts out there regarding what may have happened.
    It didn't factory reset , probably because it was unlocked phone it went through the android blue bot and restarted to put the carriers settings into affect.
    04-29-2019 08:52 PM
    It didn't factory reset , probably because it was unlocked phone it went through the android blue bot and restarted to put the carriers settings into affect.
    Thanks for getting back to me. That's what I thought it was doing at first until I saw "wiping data" under the android bot. When the phone came back up all my apps and settings were gone and I had to re-login to my Google Account after seeing the "Unauthorized attempt to reset the phone detected" message.
    04-30-2019 08:35 AM
    Thanks for getting back to me. That's what I thought it was doing at first until I saw "wiping data" under the android bot. When the phone came back up all my apps and settings were gone and I had to re-login to my Google Account after seeing the "Unauthorized attempt to reset the phone detected" message.
    Strange,it shouldn't have done that .
    04-30-2019 09:12 AM
    Unless I'm missing something it sounds strange that there was a message indicating an unauthorized attempt to reset after it reset.
    04-30-2019 09:46 AM
    Unless I'm missing something it sounds strange that there was a message indicating an unauthorized attempt to reset after it reset.
    That's part of the Factory Reset Protection feature in Android. You see that prompt normally after you replace your SIM card. The phone will erase all data and then prompt you to verify your identity by logging into your Google Account. If you can't log in, then your phone is rendered useless. It's a security feature to protect your data and to deter theft, though the Internet is full of workarounds for thieves to still reset your phone.

I just don't understand why the "feature" kicked-in when I didn't touch the SIM but just entered a new country with different carriers.
    04-30-2019 09:59 AM
    That's part of the Factory Reset Protection feature in Android. You see that prompt normally after you replace your SIM card. The phone will erase all data and then prompt you to verify your identity by logging into your Google Account. If you can't log in, then your phone is rendered useless. It's a security feature to protect your data and to deter theft, though the Internet is full of workarounds for thieves to still reset your phone.

I just don't understand why the "feature" kicked-in when I didn't touch the SIM but just entered a new country with different carriers.
    I have a theory as to what may have happened, but I can't be certain.

When I first set up the phone, my old SIM card didn't fit, so I went ahead and set up the phone without a SIM and added it later. It's been working fine for months.

I'm wondering, however, if the reboot triggered by the carrier change (to adjust device settings for the carrier) somehow then saw the SIM card as something new, thus triggering Google Device Protection and wiping my data. What doesn't add up though, is that I power off the phone every evening and power it back on in the morning, which I believe is the equivalent to a reboot.

Just a thought.

I've purchased a microSD card that will now hold a full backup of my device, just in case this keeps happening.
    05-01-2019 11:28 AM

I never seen that prompt when switching out my sim from carrier to carrier.
    05-01-2019 11:33 AM