How to stop Samsung from forcing Pie/One UI update

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I purchased the "Package Disabler" in order to stop my Galaxy 8+ from updating to the infernal Pie/One UI update. I initially used it, but it rendered my phone virtually useless.

Using Package disabler I disabled the Sofware update com.sec.android.soagent, but couldn't find anything that resembled a system update package. I heard there was one called "System Updates" com.samsung.sdm.sdmviewer, and "Systems Updates" com.samsung.sdm, but the last two aren't listed by Package Disabler.

How can I use this tool to put an end to this horrible update? I had to factory reset my phone back to Oreo, but the Pie/One UI cancer finds it's way back in and won't let me delay the update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and you would undoubtedly accrue tons of good Karma for helping us out.

Thanks!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Is there a specific reason why you don't want Pie that you're willing to void warranties (if you still have it) and potentially use a less secure device?
Also, is your bootloader unlocked? Because the easiest way to block updates is to root the device. The notification will still annoy you every now and then but the update can never proceed.

Atodamadre

May 5, 2019
Visit site
Is there a specific reason why you don't want Pie that you're willing to void warranties (if you still have it) and potentially use a less secure device?
Also, is your bootloader unlocked? Because the easiest way to block updates is to root the device. The notification will still annoy you every now and then but the update can never proceed.

Hello, thank you for your reply.

I initially updated to pie/One UI and it rendered my phone virtually useless. Wifi Calling is now atrocious, and I have to have it, my phone is sluggish as heck, and the battery dies much faster. It has some interesting innovations, but they are far outweighed by the problems I, and many other people are encountering. A brief survey with google reveals threads filled with people asking how to roll back the upgrade. I did go back to Oreo, but Samsung keeps trying to force Pie down our throats...

My phone is not rooted. And is no longer in warranty. I just want to use my phone again long enough for them to fix the problems they are having, or until I am forced to buy a new phone. Mine is only a year or so old. :-(

Thank you for any help!

Regards...

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I updated to Pie in January and has had nothing but awesomeness. My battery and screen on time is better and everything is smoother.
Googling to see if anybody has problems is of misleading because people who have no problems won't flock to the forums to say Pie is awesome. The forums exist so that those with problems have somewhere to go.
Factory reset your phone and try to update on a clean phone. If you still have problems, look to rooting it to prevent the update.

Atodamadre

May 5, 2019
Visit site
I updated to Pie in January and has had nothing but awesomeness. My battery and screen on time is better and everything is smoother.
Googling to see if anybody has problems is of misleading because people who have no problems won't flock to the forums to say Pie is awesome. The forums exist so that those with problems have somewhere to go.
Factory reset your phone and try to update on a clean phone. If you still have problems, look to rooting it to prevent the update.

Thanks for the reply...

What phone are you using? I have read reviews of people who like it too. But there a significant amount who don't. More so than Oreo ever had. I understand some people don't like change. I love it. But I don't like it when it comes at the cost of performance. That's the bottom line for me. The complaints are pretty consistent. Samsung's Pie and One UI upgrade really screws with my Galaxy 8+. People on the other line tell me they are having problems hearing me correctly. I didn't have that problem before. Now that I'm back to 8.0, I'm not having any problems and everyone hears me fine. That pretty much is the smoking gun to me.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Regards...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The easiest way of stopping Android updates is to root the phone. You'll still get the updates, they'll run to about 25%, at which case they haven't done anything yet, but they find a modified ROM, and fail. You'll still get the notices, but the updates will fail. (To stop the updates, you have to freeze or uninstall the updater app, and that varies by carrier.)

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply...

What phone are you using? I have read reviews of people who like it too. But there a significant amount who don't. More so than Oreo ever had. I understand some people don't like change. I love it. But I don't like it when it comes at the cost of performance. That's the bottom line for me. The complaints are pretty consistent. Samsung's Pie and One UI upgrade really screws with my Galaxy 8+. People on the other line tell me they are having problems hearing me correctly. I didn't have that problem before. Now that I'm back to 8.0, I'm not having any problems and everyone hears me fine. That pretty much is the smoking gun to me.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Regards...
Galaxy S9

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy