I recorded a video with my samsung galaxy s5.
    Is it possible the video could have been saved to multiple locations at the same time?
    The video was in my gallery app, and I deleted it in my gallery app.

Im not sure if it was internal or external memory - but it should be totally gone right?
    - a video file cant be saved to two different locations, right after you recorded it?
    05-05-2019 12:29 PM
    It should be saved to one location only. Depending on how you delete it, a thumbnail image might remain somewhere. Did you delete it using the Gallery app?
    05-05-2019 12:58 PM
    yes I deleted it with the gallery app
    05-05-2019 01:00 PM
    If the video no longer shows up in the gallery, it should be entirely gone. Is there a reason why you think it was saved to more than one location at the same time?
    05-05-2019 01:22 PM
    I might have had a sd-card installed, and I have lost that sd-card now. So I just want to rule out that the video might still be on the sd-card. So the fact the video was in the gallery app, does that rule out it was saved to the sd-card (external-memory)?, or would it still appear in the gallery if it was saved to the sd-card? - hope it makes sense
    05-05-2019 01:34 PM
    If the video was still viewable on the phone without the SD card installed, then the video was saved to Internal Storage.
    05-05-2019 01:41 PM
    All right. But assuming it was saved to the sd-card. Would the location to find and view the video still be the gallery app - and in that case, if I delete it from the gallery app, it would be deleted from the sd-card as well?
    05-05-2019 01:48 PM
    No, "the gallery app" isn't a location, it's an app. If the video was stored on the SD card, the location is the SD card. And if someone found that card, they could find and view the video.
    05-05-2019 02:25 PM
    I see. But the video was in the gallery app (and deleted through that app) I never tried to move the video or anything, I recorded it, and it appeared in the standard gallery app.
    - So its not possible it could be on the sd-card, right?
    05-05-2019 02:37 PM
    When the camera takes a photo or records a video, that file gets saved to the /DCIM/Camera directory (either on Internal Storage or the SD card, depending on where the default storage location on the Camera app is set to). The system scans your storage frequently, and adds any new images or videos to the gallery database (but, as Rukbat mentioned, those files aren't physically saved to the gallery app).

If the camera had saved the video to the SD card, and if the card was removed, then you wouldn't be able to play the video in the gallery app anymore, since the file is no longer present. That's how I know the video was saved to your Internal Storage.
    05-05-2019 02:45 PM
    I see, thanks for the answer. Another thing:
    Is there a way to see or figure out - if there was ever installed an SD-card on my phone?
    05-05-2019 04:52 PM
    Not that I'm aware of.
    05-05-2019 05:03 PM
    It still doesnt make sense to me.

Right now my location to store photos and videos are internal storage.
    So I take a photo or video, and that gets saved to internal storage.
    And then I try to delete the photo/video from the gallery app, and I can see that gets deleted
    as well from the internal DCIM folder where its actually located (as you mentioned)

But if I were to delete a photo/video from the gallery app, and the location is set to
    external DCIM folder - then it would still not have been deleted in the external DCIM folder?
    - Even though I deleted the photo/video in the gallery app?
    05-06-2019 09:50 AM
    Have you tested that? If a photo is saved to the SD card, then deleting it in the Gallery app should also delete it from the SD card.
    05-06-2019 10:34 AM
    No I haven't tested it, just curios to know. I might have lost an SD-card, and want to figure out if its even possible the video still exists (I deleted the video in the gallery app, before losing it) - so if its true what you say, then its all good.

Another thing. Doing a complete factory reset on your phone, wouldn't that then also wipe all pictures and videos on the SD-card - since they are viewed in the gallery app, and everything in the gallery app is deleted on a complete reset - or how does that work?
    05-06-2019 10:54 AM
    If you're concerned, I suggest getting a new SD card (very cheap these days) and testing it out yourself -- record a video to the card, then delete it using the Gallery app. Then use a file manager app like My Files to look directly in the SD card (or remove the SD and insert it into your PC to read) to see if the video file is gone.

A factory reset technically should not affect the SD card at all, so any photos on the card would remain. It's true that the gallery app's data is wiped during a factory reset, but upon restarting the phone, the gallery app's database will be set up again using the images that the system finds on the SD card. (Remember, the gallery is not a save location -- it merely keeps track of where images are saved on the phone and displays them for you.)
    Dewsun likes this.
    05-06-2019 11:25 AM