Hello, push notifications don't appear when using the regular mobile data internet, but they do when connected to my PC internet via reversed tethering with Gnirehtet (VPN). I use the app "Push Notification Tester" to test notifications and when connected to mobile data, it fails on "Register for Push Notifications".

What can be the reason I don't get push notifications when connected to mobile data?

I've done all the settings correctly for battery, background and notifications. My phone is Redmi 2 with custom ROM (LineageOS Oreo 8.1).

Thanks.
    05-16-2019 09:26 AM
    Figured it out. Google Play Services must have cellular data set to Enabled. Must be a limitation with LineageOS since there is no mention anywhere on the internet about this being a pre-requisite for enabling notifications.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-20-2019 02:23 AM
    Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for sharing your solution!
    05-20-2019 02:36 AM
    Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for sharing your solution!
    Is it a solution if you turn on a switch that you previously turned off, or is it just 'oh good, you remembered that you turned off your data'.?
    05-20-2019 06:06 AM
    I agree with your sentiment if the solution to an overflowing bathtub is turning off the faucet, which is common knowledge. However, is it common knowledge that in order for notifications to work, that Google Play Services (a "hidden" system program which most people don't know about, with no obvious connection to notifications) must have access to cellular data? And the reason why it was turned off right from the beginning was because I wanted to limit the amount of data usage on my 200MB/month plan.

As you can see, this is my first post on this forum, I used my own spare time to help out anyone who might have the same issue, even though I didn't need to, and I've not been impressed with this particular response.
    05-20-2019 06:28 AM
    Yes, it is common knowledge that Google Play Services is a system app that should be left alone. My response was not directed to you. Have a good day.
    05-20-2019 06:41 AM
    Is it a solution if you turn on a switch that you previously turned off, or is it just 'oh good, you remembered that you turned off your data'.?
    It's not out of the question that others might tinker with settings like this -- and in those situations, there may be multiple settings that have been changed, so it can be helpful to point to a specific setting that needs to be changed back. If this were a simple matter of toggling mobile data or Airplane Mode, then I'd agree with you, but the setting in question is a little more obscure.
    05-20-2019 10:56 AM
    Yes, I see your reasoning. The OP did not know what chain of events would happen. Maybe like with windows, android could give a warning that you're about to mess with an OS setting.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-20-2019 11:44 AM
    Even if there were a warning, it'd be human nature for many people to ignore and click through anyway!
    05-20-2019 10:22 PM