Is there something wrong with the call I had yesterday?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My mom called me from UAE and her number showed up on the screen so I answered it. After a few moments, the call was cut off and it ended. I thought it was a network problem. Then after a few moments, my phone was ringing and an "UNKNOWN" showed up on the screen. I answered it and it was my mom calling again but this time her voice on the phone was unstable or a bit shaky so I thought it was just the signal having problems again. After the call, I checked my call logs and it showed there my mother's number and the "UNKNOWN". I tried to see its details but it won't let me. I can't even press the (i) beside it where I can see our call histories, the number and send sms or even call it back . So basically, the "UNKOWN " didnt show any number or details . I messaged my mom to try to call me again so she did, this time it was okay again like her number showed up on the screen and her voice was clear. What does the "UNKOWN" mean?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My mom called me from UAE and her number showed up on the screen so I answered it. After a few moments, the call was cut off and it ended. I thought it was a network problem. Then after a few moments, my phone was ringing and an "UNKNOWN" showed up on the screen. I answered it and it was my mom calling again but this time her voice on the phone was unstable or a bit shaky so I thought it was just the signal having problems again. After the call, I checked my call logs and it showed there my mother's number and the "UNKNOWN". I tried to see its details but it won't let me. I can't even press the (i) beside it where I can see our call histories, the number and send sms or even call it back . So basically, the "UNKOWN " didnt show any number or details . I messaged my mom to try to call me again so she did, this time it was okay again like her number showed up on the screen and her voice was clear. What does the "UNKOWN" mean?
Usually "Unknown" is a person blocked their number , just keep a eye on this behavior see if it happens again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: What's wrong if a recognized number suddenly switched to unknown on the second call?

Welcome to Android Central! Was she calling using her normal cell service, or was she using some kind of VoIP service, or perhaps a number forwarding service (similar to Google Voice)? I'm just speculating here, but if she were using either of these, perhaps the system was falling back on some server whose number your carrier couldn't identify.

Here's a potential explanation from this thread I found: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1977821-caller-id-shows-unknown-since-moved-to-a-new-office. "It sounds like the ID may be getting dropped depending on how they are routing the calls. For Example: If the call originating on your VOIP system never leaves an IP backbone and terminates at an IP device, then the ID may be preserved. However, if the call leaves the IP network and terminates over a POTS line or other digital over analog, then the ID may be getting dropped."

Avie14

May 21, 2019
Visit site
Re: What's wrong if a recognized number suddenly switched to unknown on the second call?

I think it was a normal service. Not really sure about it . I was just confused because I really can't view the details of the "UNKNOWN" when I check it on the call logs even though it was a call from my mother. My mother also said that she used the same number on the second call but her number didn't show up when she called and there were no details about that UNKOWN. Can't even press the (i)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not the details you can check with a cellphone that would matter, it's the routing of the call, and no record is kept of that, not even by the carriers. (Can you tell your internet route to here right now?)

I'd chalk this up to a one time glitch in routing, especially since you added that "this time her voice on the phone was unstable or a bit shaky" part. The call was probably routing through some analog or old digital path for part of the route. (And if the military is involved here, I wouldn't put it past some old Army CoW [Cell on Wheels™] being improperly set up.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007