On my Moto G6 running Android 8, my widgets have all gone in dark mode even though I have dark mode turned off in each of the apps themselves as well as in the settings for my display. The three that I use that I am noticing this in are the Google Search bar, Google Keep and Google Calendar. Note that the apps themselves are not in dark mode when I click into any of them, just the widgets.

I do not have the option to change from dark mode in the Developer Settings, only in the apps themselves and in the settings I can get to from holding down on the homescreen (not the settings reached from going to settings from the app list).

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Mishka
    Blogger Technical Expert
    05-31-2019 07:38 PM
    Dark mode inside of the app does not, or rather should not, change the appearance of the app icon. That would be a product of a device setting or device theme. It could be possible that when changing to Dark Mode on the phone something was changed that didn't get changed back when returning to regular mode. Check Accessibility settings for high contrast settings or perhaps even colorblindness just be sure something there wasn't changed. I would also check your device theme. I'm sure Moto has someplace where you can pick themes, icons, backgrounds and all of that. Be sure that your icon package is the stock package and that the stock package isn't one that is dark themed. Try changing it and changing it back, should it be that everything changed except the icon package.
    06-01-2019 06:06 AM
    It isn't actually the icons that are the problem, it is the widgets. And when I go into the phone app, it is in dark mode and when I try to change it in the settings, it says that I have it set to dark theme in the Settings of the device but I don't. Also in another standard Google app, it says that I have it set to battery saver mode which I also do not.
    06-01-2019 05:07 PM
    Are you running a battery saver app?
    06-01-2019 05:14 PM
    No, and I am very selective in the apps that I download. Most of the apps I have are from Google since I figure the compatibility is much more likely to work out. I double checked my accessibility settings, power management settings as well as the settings I can get to from either the app list and from holding down on the home page. I even went into the app settings for display and moto display and deleted cache and data to see if I could reset them completely to default. Each time I tried something new, I did a complete power off rather than just a reboot to make sure nothing residual was sticking. I am wondering if there is a way to get to a file or registery setting via the file manager or something. I am mostly experience with PC and laptop systems so mobile devices are a bit different. Thanks for your help.
    06-02-2019 11:45 PM
    No problem. I'm glad you're at least making an effort to be mindful of what you install. Not to get too off topic or anything but it's amazing how often someone's issue is some low rated app or something they found just out there on the internet. Meanwhile, it sounds like you're being very thorough so that helps. Speaking of something sticking, are you using the stock theming or mostly besides changing the background? Have you tried changing your theme? Then we could see if the widgets change in any way, maybe even back to what you think they should be and it would allow you to set the default theme again and see if it's just a glitch. It might be that something got turned on/off and even though the switch was flipped this one thing just stuck. I mean you've been through all of the settings and everything appears to be the way you expect but something isn't catching, so maybe if you throw the switch in a completely new position and back again (if you choose) you can regain control.
    06-03-2019 01:26 AM
    I can try that although I think other than changing the background picture to one from my gallery, I haven't changed anything about the theme of the phone. Let me see if I can see some theme settings. I assume they would be in the display settings area?
    06-06-2019 11:13 PM
    Perhaps. HTC has a native app that takes users to its own theme selection. Samsung has a similar area but you get to it through your settings. I would assume that Moto is no exception to this just not sure how you would get there.
    06-07-2019 12:45 AM