GMail Server Problem June 2, 2019 [Fixed]

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Some GMail servers seem to be experiencing a problem - probably due to someone "fixing" the code on them. (The error, if you get that far, is a Server 500 error. That's usually a syntax error with the code on the server.)

There's nothing you can do about it - just wait it out. It should be fixed by tomorrow. (They shouldn't be playing on a live server, but I'm pretty sure that they took a full backup before they started, so if they can't fix it, they'll just have to restore the backup and try again.)

Google, if anyone there is reading this, PLEASE do your "updating" on a backup server, so the live server doesn't go down.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
GMail runs on different servers all over the world. Some of them are working fine, some - still on January 3rd - aren't. (Three of my accounts work with no problem. The other 3 either don't allow me to log in [they claim that I have to] or pop up a box with nothing in it. And which does what (of those 3) varies.

They're doing something. I have no idea what. But we don't need hundreds of posts asking why someone can't get his email - that's why the sticky. (It will be deleted when they fix whatever they broke.)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that, hallux. I lost access to 3 of my 6 email accounts, so I just stopped trying to update them until Monday, by which time everything was working.

(We don't learn anything when everything is working fine, we only learn things when something goes wrong. I'm sure his won't happen again. Other crashes, sure, but not this kind.)