My android will turn off when the battery life gets below 50%. When it turns off, it doesn't play the usual "turning off animation thing" it just goes black. If I try to turn it on, it says it's dead. I'll plug it in, turn it on, and I can usu all go on, it just starts charging at 0% until it gets to 100%.
    06-07-2019 09:42 PM
    Your battery itself is done for and needs replacing. Depending on the age and design (sealed vs user replaceable battery) of the phone, a new battery may be worth it or it may be better to just replace the phone. If you create an account and reply to this thread with your phone make and model, we can give more specific direction.
    kct1975 likes this.
    06-07-2019 10:13 PM
    I made an account, as was asked, with the hopes of fixing the issue. My phone make and model is SAMSUNG-SM-G900A and the version is 6.0.1, I can take out the battery and replace it if that is what you think is best. Based off how things are for me right now, I would like to avoid buying a new phone if at all possible.
    06-08-2019 09:10 AM
    Welcome to the forums and thanks for replying.

That phone is also known as the Galaxy S5, which was released in 2014. Being that old, no one is making fresh batteries for it anymore. If money is a concern, I would try buying a replacement, but keep in mind batteries decay with age, and any "new" battery is currently at risk of having the same issues now. Even a OEM battery is susceptible to it. So it may take buying several batteries to find one that's still half decent. The frustration factor alone may push you into replacing the phone entirely. If it were a sealed battery, I wouldn't even suggest it due to the much higher battery replacement costs.

The quick and dirty version of why I think it's the battery is age and what's called voltage drop. In any electrical system, putting a sudden load on it will cause the supply voltage to drop. You can even see this in your home if the lights dim when your air conditioner kicks on, so it's not something limited to just phones or batteries in general. A healthy battery won't sag very much, even when doing demanding tasks like gaming. As it ages and gets weaker, the sag becomes more pronounced, eventuality going lower than the bare minimum needed to keep the phone on. When this happens, it's like disconnecting the battery all together and it shuts off instantly. This normally starts happening at lower percentages, like 5-10% capacity left. As it gets worse, it'll happen higher, such as at your 50% cutoff.

For future reference, it's best to try keeping phones Li-ion batteries between 40-80%. Li-ion batteries are not deep cycle batteries, so keeping them above 75% long term, and dropping them below 40% accelerates their aging. They prefer a happy medium.
    kct1975 likes this.
    06-08-2019 09:31 AM
    I made an account, as was asked, with the hopes of fixing the issue. My phone make and model is SAMSUNG-SM-G900A and the version is 6.0.1, I can take out the battery and replace it if that is what you think is best. Based off how things are for me right now, I would like to avoid buying a new phone if at all possible.
    I agree with mooncatt , replace the battery it's easy as you just swap it out.
    kct1975 likes this.
    06-08-2019 09:48 AM