Media recovery and rooting my phone

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have an LG G6 (LG-H870) with android oreo 8.0.0, kernel version 3.18.71
I want to root in mainly to recover a couple videos I've deleted.
If there is a way to recover the videos without root that would be great, if not then I need some help rooting my device because I've never done it before.
The videos I've deleted were locked and I have "permanantly deleted" them as they don't go in the trash.

Also, I know that rooting my phone voids my warranty so I was wondering if there was a way to unroot my phone in order to get back my warranty after I'm done recovering my videos/photos?

Basically...
Is there a way to recover deleted videos/images without rooting my device and if not then how do I safely root it?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
To root, you’d have to request a bootloader unlock code from LG, which if granted would require you to provide personal details and agree to conditions, including warranty voiding.

An app such as Disk Digger might help.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
DiskDigger on the phone will "find the phone", but it can't undelete (nothing can) without root access. (Even manually editing the raw disk can't fo it without root access - the directories themselves have to be modified, and no non-rooted app can do that.)

But, as belodion said, if you have to send LG information to get the bootloader unlock code (and you do with LG), at that point the warranty is void, even if you never use the unlock code. So it's your choice whether to unlock it or not.

If you decide to, I'd suggest Magisk, since it's trivial to uninstall it, update and reinstall it when an update comes out. (Although, since the phone is over 2 years old, it's out of warranty anyway, and there probably won't be any updates past Oreo.)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g6/how-to/official-lg-g6-bootloader-unlock-t3614719 is a full explanation of rooting, installing TWRP and rooting. (And, again, I'd use Magisk - if for nothing else than a) it's currently supported and b) there are a lot of useful modules you can run with it.)