Phone: Samsung Note 3. Provider: Vodafone, Europe

I am *not* a tech-savy user. This might be a stupid question.
    My Samsung Note 3 will only connect to the internet via wi-fi. As soon as I am out of range of my wi-fi signal at the house, the phone cannot "find a network connection." I cannot use Google Maps, access live email or any other internet account. I really need a translator and maps.

What do I do to make this work like a normal phone, using the data from my provider? Can somebody work with me to get this issue fixed and set up properly?
    06-09-2019 06:05 AM
    Have you singed up and paid for service from the provider? Have you checked with them to ensure everything is working with your account? Maybe they need to replace the SIM card?
    06-09-2019 06:20 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! What's the exact model number of the phone? Are you certain it supports the 3G/4G bands that Vodafone uses? If so, have you checked the APN settings to make sure they're correct for Vodafone? https://www.androidcentral.com/what-...do-i-change-it
    06-09-2019 01:15 PM
    The phone is a Note 3-Neo SM-N7505. It was purchased in September 2014 completely unlocked. It receives messages from Vodafone. I can send messages. It will auto recharge. The Vodafone store checked it, and for a while I could use the broadband from my SIM for things like Google Maps. I have had several providers in three countries. The phone has never simply turned on and worked. If I log onto a wi-fi signal, I can get on the internet.
    06-10-2019 02:29 AM
    Thanks, found this link: https://www.apnsettings.org/italy/vodafone-it/ Checked all the settings; two of them were not set.
    06-10-2019 02:39 AM
    Check Data under Settings. What is its posistion?
    06-10-2019 05:32 AM
    There's a couple Data settings. One shows usage. The setting Mobile data "enable data access over mobile network" is checked. Use Wireless Networks for location is checked.

Just now, clicked on Internet and it says This Web page is not available. blah blah bah the DNS look-up failed. .... It can be caused by... no connection to internet, misconfigured network, unresponsive DNS, or firewall preventing Internet...

Another site, cached, that i was on earlier, says "Network connectivity limited or unavailable." It's spinning and spinning.
    06-10-2019 08:32 AM
    Are you using a VPN?
    06-10-2019 07:28 PM
    Not on my phone.
    06-13-2019 05:02 AM
    Going to "My Vodafone" app, my provider, it says to use "the application [requires] an internet connection. Check your device settings, or check back later." So there's a setting somewhere on the phone that switches it to using Vodafone to access the internet.

Connecting to the wi-fi signal in the house, and opening up Vodafone, I have 49.81 gigs left out of 50. And I have credit. The account is not turned off or inactive. I should be able to stream Spotify all day with no problems.
    06-13-2019 05:13 AM
    Sounds like a sim card issue. Do you have another phone you can crosstest with?
    06-13-2019 07:04 AM
    Another Samsung phone in the house, newer, is able to get on the internet with the same provider. The thing is, I've had maybe 4 or 5 cell phone providers, and many sim cards, and now and then it actually works. Then it doesn't. The only solution is, apparently, to ditch the phone and buy a new one but I'd like to find out wtf is going on here so I don't end up with the same problem. I suspect there's a setting somewhere that "everybody" knows about that is completely obvious, but also as intuitive as reading Chinese while high on acid.
    06-13-2019 07:27 AM
    Does anybody understand Network Mode settings: https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/vodafone-italy

LTE/WCDMA/GSM; WCDMA/GSM; WCDMA only; GSM only; these are settings on my phone, but listed under Data roaming. Might not be relevant.
    06-13-2019 07:43 AM
    Found setting called "Edit access point." Some settings are not set, such as Proxy, Port, Server. Perhaps this is a key.
    06-13-2019 07:49 AM
    Does anybody understand Network Mode settings: https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/vodafone-italy

LTE/WCDMA/GSM; WCDMA/GSM; WCDMA only; GSM only; these are settings on my phone, but listed under Data roaming. Might not be relevant.
    If you are switching providers, only a cdma can be used with another cdma provider. If you have a gsm phone, the same. Did you look into your providers phone requirements? Do you have the right phone? The bands used within gsm must also be supported by the new carrier.
    Good luck
    06-13-2019 08:43 AM
    In your APN settings, is the APN protocol set to IPv4 or IPv6?
    06-13-2019 07:50 PM
    I cannot find this setting. One fault with this phone is "search settings." If I look for APN, it shows nothing. You have to poke around until you find it. I've about given up on this. When I get a chance I'll go into Vodafone and see if somebody there has a clue. Next November I will research and order a Pixel 3, as my daughter had one here and it worked with no problems. However, this Samsung should work and it's disappointing to own a $350 door stopper.
    06-24-2019 04:50 AM
    Sorry this is so frustrating. You mentioned before that you've tried SIM cards from a few different carriers on this phone, and the same thing happens, is that correct? It may be that the problem is with the phone's SIM reader. Use a can of compressed air to blow out the SIM slot, in case there's some debris in there. If that doesn't help, it would probably require a repair shop's attention.
    06-24-2019 01:28 PM
    You may be right. It works sometimes but not well. Yesterday I was able to stream Spotify, wi-fi off, Enable Mobile Data on.

However, I think the phone is [language redacted by Mod]. Yesterday the screen was discolored. Ghost screens could be seen behind. As in the display is going bust. Another issue over the last few months has been the time gets wildly off and has to be manually reset. So it appears to be kaput. It is 5 years old now. I'm researching the Google Pixel phones.
    07-08-2019 12:07 AM
    Ah well, it sure sounds like it's the right time to upgrade. The Pixel 3a line of phones is a great value, and you can probably find some good deals on the flagship Pixel 3 line as well. Or, if you don't want to pay quite so much, you can probably find refurbished Pixel 2 or 2 XL phones for cheap.
    07-08-2019 12:13 AM