I have my tv attached to an old school amp so that I can play it through surround sound speakers. The amp is set to aux.

To play anything through my laptop I connected it to the HDMI outlet on the tv and to a 3.5mm jack to the stereo RCA. The amp is set to video.

I have just bought a Chromcast which works on the tv but I can’t get sound through the amp/speakers. Is this possible?

FYI I’m pretty low-tech
    06-12-2019 06:29 AM
    How is the TV connected to the amp for audio? It should transfer the same way. My TV is connected to a receiver for audio through an optical cable from the TV to the receiver (so it's new enough to have optical but not new enough for HDMI). However - I found in my search for a TV that surround sound pass through is not a common feature on recent TVs (my LG TV from 2007 had it but my LG TV from 2014 doesn't).

Bottom line - however your TV is passing audio to the receiver should work for all inputs to the TV, the Chromecast shouldn't be special here.

Wait... IS the TV connected to the amp?

You say this:

I have my tv attached to an old school amp so that I can play it through surround sound speakers
    Then you say this:

To play anything through my laptop I connected it to the HDMI outlet on the tv and to a 3.5mm jack to the stereo RCA. The amp is set to video.
    Is that for 2 different instances? What is that aux connection? How is that connected on the TV end? HDMI can carry audio, any HDMI input to the TV should process audio to the TV then the TV can process it to the aux input on the amp.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    06-12-2019 07:39 AM