Samsung Note 9 (128GB) charging very slowly

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My Samsung Note 9, bought last November has stopped 'fast charging' using the fast charger that came with it. This happened about 3 months ago. I cannot use the charger which came with it. Whenever I plug it in, the ‘fast charging’ notification shows up, then after 1 second, the phone does not charge at all using the Samsung Charger.
I am now just using my computer, powerbank, or sometimes even a non-fast charging charger to charge my Note 9…my concern is that my Note 9 takes about 6-8 hours to charge now. Yes, I know it’s not fast-charging, but my previous phones, and even my iPhone didn’t take more than 2.5 hours to charge on a non-fast charger!
I have checked my settings to confirm fast-charger IS enabled. I can confirm I can fast charge using the chargers at work. I have rebooted my phone a few times and reset the settings a few times.
Has anyone has an this issue where it takes 6-8 hours on a non-fast charger? Yes, I might ‘solve’ this by buying a new fast charger as the one I have might be defective. But this still won’t solve the fact that it takes 6-8 hours to charge on a non-fast charger – I won’t always have a fast charger with me – say when I’m travelling or in a car. Is it really normal for the Note 9 to take 6-8 hours to fully charge?
Appreciate some of your feedback please. I will have to factory reset as a last resort – but from reading online, I don’t think this will ‘fix’ it.
Model number: SM-N960F
One UI 1.0
Android version 9
Kernel version 4.9.59-15792590
Build number PPR1.180610.011.N960FXXS2CSDJ

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried a new USB cable (or at least a different one you know is good)? Slow charging is often a symptom of the USB cables going bad.

Last edited:

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Just created an account - as I can't reply to your response, @Mooncatt. Yes, I have tried a different USB cable. It charges, but still slowly. Takes about 6-8 hours to charge. Note 9 users, how 'fast' does your device charge if you're not using a fast-charger with it? 6-8 hours is ridiculous

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just created an account - as I can't reply to your response, @Mooncatt. Yes, I have tried a different USB cable. It charges, but still slowly. Takes about 6-8 hours to charge. Note 9 users, how 'fast' does your device charge if you're not using a fast-charger with it? 6-8 hours is ridiculous
If you use non fast charger usually 2.5 hrs as fast charger 1.0 to 1.5

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
I just checked my port. It's clean. What I don't understand is that I can use the fast chargers at work and my Note 9 fast chargers. But it charges really slowly when I'm not using a fast charger or even a normal charger.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just checked my port. It's clean. What I don't understand is that I can use the fast chargers at work and my Note 9 fast chargers. But it charges really slowly when I'm not using a fast charger or even a normal charger.
Those cables or brick you using probably are a problem , I mean the one at work u can test as in settings can turn off fast charger see what it says there.

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Thanks. Just an update, I tried disabling the 'fast charge' function on my Note 9 and charged it using the cable and charger at work. My Note 9 is at 52% and when I plugged it in at work, it says it will take 1 hour and 15 minutes to charge, which sounds a lot quicker than what it used to be. I will get a new charger and cable. I see that the OEM Samsung charger and cables are a lot cheaper than the Anker products. Are Anker ones better and more durable and reliable?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. Just an update, I tried disabling the 'fast charge' function on my Note 9 and charged it using the cable and charger at work. My Note 9 is at 52% and when I plugged it in at work, it says it will take 1 hour and 15 minutes to charge, which sounds a lot quicker than what it used to be. I will get a new charger and cable. I see that the OEM Samsung charger and cables are a lot cheaper than the Anker products. Are Anker ones better and more durable and reliable?
I always recommend stock chargers but Anker should be equivalent

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Update. The charger and cable has arrived. Plugged my phone at 50%...phone says it will take 3 hours to charge!!! Tried turning the fast charging feature on and off but there's no difference. :( What's wrong with my phone and I wonder what else I could do?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you able to borrow one of your work chargers to try at home, or to try your new charger at work?
That would be my next suggestion too. It's possible the new charger or cable could be a factory defect, but the odds of that happening after replacing a bad one are extremely slim. That makes me want to start considering the house wiring, but I'm not sure what could cause that.

Instead of waiting to go to work, I'd also try different outlets in your home, including in different rooms, and see what happens. Maybe there's corrosion inside that particular outlet or circuit preventing enough current flow?

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Thanks. I'll try bring the charger to work tomorrow. It just sounds a complete mystery. I had no problems with fast charging at home before. And if it was a bad outlet, I am wondering why it still takes several hours to charge even from my power bank.

Could it be a hardware issue? I just got this at the end of last year. I've never dropped it.

Could a factory reset solve it?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
And if it was a bad outlet, I am wondering why it still takes several hours to charge even from my power bank.

I missed that part. I thought it was charging ok on the power bank. Thanks for the correction. I'm still curious how the new charger and cable work at your work and vice versa. If the home charger charges faster at work, then we may want to look at what the phone is doing, and compare cell signals between the two locations.

Could it be a hardware issue? I just got this at the end of last year. I've never dropped it.

Could a factory reset solve it?

I think we're still in the "it could be anything" stage. A factory reset may fix it, or it may not. Factory resets rarely actually fix anything in my experience and are usually reserved as a last ditch effort before making a warranty claim or sending for repair. If you don't mind the hassle of setting it up again, doing one wouldn't hurt. Before that, I'd first reboot into safe mode to rule out any third party app conflicts.

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Alright. The saga continues. I have tried the new charger I bought and plugged it in at work. My Note 9 is at 80% charge and when I plugged it in, it says it will take 1 hour and 30 minutes to fully charge the remaining 20%! I plugged it in other sockets just to make sure...

I will most likely factory reset it over the weekend. But before that, anything else I need to try first?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't Know if we recommend safe mode ? But if we didn't try this with the charger and see what happens.
Alright. The saga continues. I have tried the new charger I bought and plugged it in at work. My Note 9 is at 80% charge and when I plugged it in, it says it will take 1 hour and 30 minutes to fully charge the remaining 20%! I plugged it in other sockets just to make sure...

I will most likely factory reset it over the weekend. But before that, anything else I need to try first?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
We do recommend Safe Mode - all the time. (But I'm leaning toward a bad battery. Which can happen with a brand new phone purchased directly from the manufacturer after a couple of days. [It's why the Note 7 turned into an arsonist - bad batteries from two of Samsung's battery vendors.])

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol