How to I turn off Wi-Fi Direct ?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've turned on Wi-Fi Direct to view my phone's screen on my TV. How do I switch back Wi-Fi Direct to Off ?

The On/Off switch just disappeared, and there is only a message :
Your phone (Galaxy S9+) is currently visible to nearby devices.

Thank you.

Alfa Luso

Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
On Samsung Galaxy A51 (new) there's NO TURNING OFF the Wi-Fi Direct.
Just the warning that the device "is currently visible to nearby devices"; as I just "see" my neighbour's phone and TV, the same happens to him.... meaning this is abnormally UNSAFE.
How can I turn it off without turning off the regular Wi-Fi ?

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
On Samsung Galaxy A51 (new) there's NO TURNING OFF the Wi-Fi Direct.
Just the warning that the device "is currently visible to nearby devices"; as I just "see" my neighbour's phone and TV, the same happens to him.... meaning this is abnormally UNSAFE.
How can I turn it off without turning off the regular Wi-Fi ?

just because you can see them, don't mean you can access them. have you checked your home wifi router settings lately. you can see all sorts of devices from your neighbor including printers, streaming devices, networks and more. IMO, as long as you have the proper security setup on your phone, keep it updated, and don't do anything stupid, then you should be okay.

Peter Steier

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
There is no way to switch it off on Samsung Galaxy Note 9...

... and it shows a popup every few minutes or sometimes seconds "Mobile Hotspot msut be disabled to use Wi-Fi direct". This is utterly annoying. There are two awful bugs: there shoulb be an option to disable Wi-Fi drirect, and there should be no popups which can't be blocked.
The device causing that seems to be "Joseph's Fire TV stick", probably some of my neighbors.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Re: There is no way to switch it off on Samsung Galaxy Note 9...

... and it shows a popup every few minutes or sometimes seconds "Mobile Hotspot msut be disabled to use Wi-Fi direct". This is utterly annoying. There are two awful bugs: there shoulb be an option to disable Wi-Fi drirect, and there should be no popups which can't be blocked.
The device causing that seems to be "Joseph's Fire TV stick", probably some of my neighbors.

Your can turn off the pop up in Notifications.
Just because you see your neighbors broadcast doesn’t mean he can see your phone unless you toggle it to Visable.
Good luck

Kat7399

May 10, 2021
Visit site
All the previous answers did nothing for me, I still had an icon telling me WiFi Direct was on and that I'm visible to other devices.
Here's what worked for me; go to settings, wifi - do not choose wifi direct, instead simply turn off your wifi connections and then turn back on.
So simple and no more warnings about being visible. Of course you are visible as long as you use anything like wifi or blue tooth but now your not running down your battery and NO no one can connect to you without you setting up a password and sharing it with this entity to connect to you. Either way, this worked for me, I hope that's helpful to you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36