Why do phone manufacturers push new updates with a complete new ui on older model phones? Why can't they just offer security updates on its own instead? New ui on older model phones are real bad in terms of battery life, lag, freezes etc.
    When I had my galaxy S5, it had Android 4, then updated to 5 which was OK but new patches fixed the bugs, updated to 6 and it destroyed my battery. It got so hot and fried my phone. Samsung actually replaced my whole phone due to the update.
    It seems to be a big issue since the beginning of Android software updates with ui stuffing up older phones. 19 years later, nothing has changed nor anyone seems to care. I feel it's done intentionally to upgrade to a new model, yes spend money to keep the company afloat.
    06-24-2019 06:03 AM
    Based on various smart device forums most people want the latest OS. Upgrades do not usually kill battery life from my experience. They usually also offer improvements.
    kct1975 likes this.
    06-24-2019 07:03 AM
    It can be a good idea to wipe the cache partition after a major system update -- that might help with various glitches and overheating.
    06-24-2019 02:15 PM
    Why do they push new UIs to old phones with the new OS? Consistency. It's much easier (and cost-effective for something they're providing FOR FREE) to have a single team develop a single interface over the new OS and then patch in the hardware support needed for each device at the end than it is to have multiple teams develop multiple interfaces over the same OS. Sure - each device will need SOME tweaking of the interface but that's done as they add in the hardware layer and test the individual devices.

When you think about it - it'd be MUCH easier and more cost-effective to not bother at all with a unique interface and run what comes with the OS. That would also enable faster updating but NOOO, can't do THAT!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-24-2019 02:46 PM