Why is my battery draining so quickly?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Good evening (and I wish it was).

Since this morning my phone's been on the fritz. I took it off the charger this morning at 100% battery, NO APPS RUNNING and it dropped to 72% by the time I arrived at work (about 30 minutes travel, give or take)

I barely even touched my phone and had a 2 hour drive not long afterwards. My battery was at 3% at the end of the trip.

I turned off the phone and charged it to 100% and turned it back on at a gas station and timed it. I lost 26% in about 44 minutes.

No amount of restarting or charging changed this behavior. I even took it to the AT&T store and they couldn't find anything out of sorts.

I always remove running apps before putting my phone away. And I am not aware of any changes in behavior. I did remove a handful of apps the day before but I can't see how that would INCREASE battery usage.

Any ideas??? Please help, this is driving me nuts.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I believe that 1st, clear the cache partition and reboot.
Your 1st screen shot shows abnormal Google play services usage.
Your 2 bars is causing the cell radio to use excessive battery consumption.
Combined with the updated os and general use, and having never cleared it, do it.

hg3300

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I believe that 1st, clear the cache partition and reboot.
Your 1st screen shot shows abnormal Google play services usage.
Your 2 bars is causing the cell radio to use excessive battery consumption.
Combined with the updated os and general use, and having never cleared it, do it.

I'm going to have to argue against the Google play services thing (I had just uninstalled a bunch of apps) and the 2 bars (reception in my house is never perfect). It's never caused the battery to drain this bad. Will look into clearing the cache.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I'm going to have to argue against the Google play services thing (I had just uninstalled a bunch of apps) and the 2 bars (reception in my house is never perfect). It's never caused the battery to drain this bad. Will look into clearing the cache.
Argue, but Google it and verify. You have a computer that makes phone calls. Make sure you are clearing the phones (computers) cache partition, not an individual app.
This is routine maintenance, if you will, for a properly functioning device, as is a simple reboot at least once a week. Especially after os updates and or after lots of usage involving installing and deleting apps, especially if costored on an SD card.
Good luck

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Mustang, between his play services, cell standby and the os background he's using 25%. This is normally, as you know, usually maybe 4% after 2 hours for all 3. The changes he made call for a cache wipe before safe mode (which, depending on the op setup will change the look and /or layout of the phone ui.
Either way, LG (life's good).
Good luck OP

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mustang, between his play services, cell standby and the os background he's using 25%. This is normally, as you know, usually maybe 4% after 2 hours for all 3. The changes he made call for a cache wipe before safe mode (which, depending on the op setup will change the look and /or layout of the phone ui.
Either way, LG (life's good).
Good luck OP
I agree, with cell phone coverage, Google play , and clearing cache always a good option also, but in safe mode the battery still drained rapidly on a charger is a big big concern.

Edit: another thing I want to say for cell phone reception, my note 9 which I have att sim in it , and stays in my office which is bad cell reception can get 2 bars then drop to nothing also have wifi on the battery doesn't have drain at all . With my tmobile sim it has better reception. Just want to throw that out there for bad reception .

Last edited:

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Understood, but the skeptic I am, and the time between the post which you showed the op how to enter safe mode and the time he posted it was completed and deemed to not solve anything were both within an hour on the tapatalk timestamp I see posted.
Thanks for the reply.
Added : I too get great battery with t-mobile at my house while the ol phone on Verizon doesn't. A typical graph attached from now: A 27 hour estimate with almost 4hrs of screentime already.
871f69d64f7d5164a5439d11f815ab0d.jpg

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Understood, but the skeptic I am, and the time between the post which you showed the op how to enter safe mode and the time he posted it was completed and deemed to not solve anything were both within an hour on the tapatalk timestamp I see posted.
Thanks for the reply.
One good thing , if battery ends up not being good it's removable.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
Added : I too get great battery with t-mobile at my house while the ol phone on Verizon doesn't. A typical graph attached from now: A 27 hour estimate with almost 4hrs of screentime already.
871f69d64f7d5164a5439d11f815ab0d.jpg
On Verizon?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am back home and I have the app installed, just let me know what you need.

I bought a battery last night, will arrive Monday. Even if it's not the battery it's nice to have a spare and they're not expensive.
Hi, ok good thinking on the battery.
Can you provide some screenshots of the new app , cell and wifi signal also apps?