I have accidentally overwritten an important Excel file. How can I retrieve it?
    07-12-2019 06:05 AM
    Assuming it's actually over overwritten and not simply marked for deletion it can't be recovered. If it's not overwritten you might be able to recover with a recovery app but there's usually a cost to purchase. If it's only partially overwritten you might be able to capture sone raw data with the right app.

I suggest that if want to discuss this further to join the forums by creating an account.
    07-12-2019 06:14 AM
    And rooting and installing a deleted file recovery app can, by itself, overwrite part or all of the file you want to recover. (You have to root to be able to recover deleted files.)
    07-13-2019 04:23 PM
    And rooting and installing a deleted file recovery app can, by itself, overwrite part or all of the file you want to recover. (You have to root to be able to recover deleted files.)
    I've recovered files without root. There are also data recovery apps that don't require installation on a phone.
    07-16-2019 04:20 PM
    I've recovered files without root. There are also data recovery apps that don't require installation on a phone.
    Which apps?
    07-17-2019 04:20 AM
    Which apps?
    I don't have a favorite and it's not something I need on a regular basis. Your best bet is to do a Google search but most of them will cost you quite a bit a change. It depends on how badly you want to recover something. The best data recovery is to back up regularly and have more than one storage medium.
    07-17-2019 07:57 AM
    DrPhone runs from the web ... it roots, then finds deleted files, lets you restore the ones you want, then "unroots". And we know how some rooting methods leave fingerprints, so I wouldn't allow something I didn't understand "restore deleted files" on my phone. Which is why I use Magisk for root - it only involves the boot image, and I can always restore that one file from a factory image.

And, as you say, Mike, and I've said it too, the best way to "recover" a deleted file is from your off-phone backup. (I normally do a full data backup every month before installing an update (Pixel 2) because just-in-case.
    07-17-2019 04:48 PM