SD card problem

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello! I have some problems, I have an sd card and I would like to put photos on it so I open my files go to DCIM press screenshots and hold it press move and move it to a folder on my sd card so its on my sd card I go to gallery delete it and then it's gone on the sd card too why is that?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello! I have some problems, I have an sd card and I would like to put photos on it so I open my files go to DCIM press screenshots and hold it press move and move it to a folder on my sd card so its on my sd card I go to gallery delete it and then it's gone on the sd card too why is that?
Hi, if you can make a account here , me or other members be happy to assist you.

Which phone is this happening?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

If I understand you correctly, you used a file manager to move the folder. After a successful transfer, you went to the gallery app and saw a "screenshots" folder, so you deleted that, thinking it was the old folder? If so, sorry to say, but you deleted the one on the SD card.

Photos and videos are not stored inside the gallery. The gallery is just an app that views the files from their respective locations. When you moved the folder and went into the gallery, the gallery noted the move and showed you the folder as it existed on the SD card. Because you used the move function, that folder no longer existed on internal storage already.

Had you used the copy function instead (which is preferable in case the transfer goes wrong, you won't lose data), then went to the gallery app, you would've seen two identical "screenshot" folders in it. One on internal storage, one on the SD card.

If you're lucky, your gallery app may have a trash bin that you can view and restore the folder. My LG V20 has that with the stock gallery app, but I can't speak for other phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781