Enable lock screen notification preview on tap

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 running Android 9 Pie. I have it set up to require a specific swiping pattern to unlock. Typically, when I receive a text in either Google Messages, Facebook Messenger, or Hangouts, the icon will appear on my lock screen and will then show a brief preview of the message if I tap the icon. I can even tap again and it would pull up the pattern dots for me to unlock my phone, and then would automatically open the app once the phone was unlocked. That mysteriously stopped working the other day, even though I haven't done any sort of system update-- now when I see the notification icon on my lock screen and tap on it, nothing happens.

I've dug through the settings and can't figure out how to get it back. I know I can go into Settings > Lock Screen > Notifications > View Style and choose between "Detailed," Icons only," and "Brief," but none of these are what I'm looking for. "Detailed" and "Brief" actually display the text message itself on the lock screen without me doing anything, and "Icons only" won't show any of the message when I tap on it. The way it used to work was like a hybrid between "Icons only" and "Brief," in that it would initially appear as just the icon, but then would show a brief preview when you tapped on the icon. I also have the "Hide Content" setting turned off, so that shouldn't be affecting it.

How do I get it back? It's not an app-specific setting, because I didn't touch those and multiple apps from different developers stopped doing this at the same time. And it's not related to the Smart Pop-Up Preview, which is a separate feature not related to this. It's kind of driving me insane, so any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol