emergency Help, my Samsung A30 wont reboot after I cleaned the screen with a damp cloth?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

As per above. I dont understand. I didnt even submerge the phone, it simply wont turn on. It is meant to be ip68 rated !!!!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You cleaned it with a cloth soaked in water? IP68 is not a guarantee that the phone is waterproof, especially if there has been any kind of trauma to it that might have caused any cracks or other breaks in its structural integrity. In general, never use water to clean -- you should be using an alcohol-based solution.

Press and hold Power for about 30 seconds -- does anything happen?

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Nah bro it was fully charged and on. I have no idea how any water would have gotten into it.

Now samsung are saying its not IP68 rated, yet all the reviews I read said it is, which Is why I bought the thing, it was underpowered for the money but this along with SAMOLED swayed me.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-a30-3693068/

Worse thing is I am on disability due to being hit by a car. I cannot save any money at the moment. Distraught

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Nah bro it was fully charged and on. I have no idea how any water would have gotten into it.

Now samsung are saying its not IP68 rated, yet all the reviews I read said it is, which Is why I bought the thing, it was underpowered for the money but this along with SAMOLED swayed me.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-a30-3693068/

Worse thing is I am on disability due to being hit by a car. I cannot save any money at the moment. Distraught
Yeah that's strange
Have you tried to hold volume up and power button same time see if it goes into recovery?

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
WIll try that now, have tried volume down which I thought is how you soft boot.

If there is water inside, is there any chance it may dry and all be ok?

There is no water that came out of it. Does that rice trick actually help? Service center said do not use a heat source as it may create humidity into the device.

I told them I cannot walk right now and its frustrating as the review sites clearly got it was IP68 from somwhere......

And based on that I bought the phone, due to my physical damage I cannot walk/work so I have no money for service center let alone a new phone.

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
No power on and volume up or down does nothing.

I plugged it in and it flashed up for a second a round wheel with what I thought was a lightning bolt but it went away within about 3 seconds.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
WIll try that now, have tried volume down which I thought is how you soft boot.

If there is water inside, is there any chance it may dry and all be ok?

There is no water that came out of it. Does that rice trick actually help? Service center said do not use a heat source as it may create humidity into the device.

I told them I cannot walk right now and its frustrating as the review sites clearly got it was IP68 from somwhere......

And based on that I bought the phone, due to my physical damage I cannot walk/work so I have no money for service center let alone a new phone.
Just let it air dry and tilt in different angles
But just wiping with a cloth shouldn't hurt it while cleaning. Try the buttons see if it will respond like how I explained might have to hold for 10 to 20 seconds see if it respond.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
No power on and volume up or down does nothing.

I plugged it in and it flashed up for a second a round wheel with what I thought was a lightning bolt but it went away within about 3 seconds.
Maybe there's more to the story. Isn't this your post from last month?

"So I set my a30 up nicely. Its not perfect, its a little slow, I expected that.

I changed my wallpapers and one animation one for lockscreen, and now its just dead, it wont power up or anything, :-(*

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Maybe there's more to the story. Isn't this your post from last month?

"So I set my a30 up nicely. Its not perfect, its a little slow, I expected that.

I changed my wallpapers and one animation one for lockscreen, and now its just dead, it wont power up or anything, :-(*
Interesting, thanks @methodman89
I like a better explanation OP?(cellyphoner)

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Yes Methodman that did happen, that was very odd too.

But how on earth am I going to get samsung to believe me if I have water inside the phone? I feel duped.

Honest guys when you are a hard worker like me and some .... doesnt stop at a T intersection and hits you side on, your bike, and you are left to have your GF help you get to the Loo etc with a shot back, this is the last thing you need as a phone is critical, I cant ring the doctor or my support or anything.

why have soooo many sites said the phone is ip68 when it clearly isnt?

So how do I dry it, in rice? does that actually help?

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Huh, lied to how?

Whats that prior issue got to do with the phone being wet?

I think you are mis reading what has happened and not sure why you are being sensitive. It is as I said.

The prior issue is totally unrelated for all I know. A buggy screen saver caused it to brick every time screen unlock was done. That has no relevance to this issue.

Besides I need some help here, Power + Volume up is not how you unlock these phones. I need a samsung guru.

My only guess is the plast see through case has kept moisture from the cloth and it has some how seeped into the motherboard or similar. Being non ip68, thats all I can guess has occured.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why you think there's water in the phone. First you said it was a damp cloth, and then you said it's almost dry. Is there some other reason why you think it might have water damage?

Remember, sometimes phones just fail. If the phone is still under warranty, and if you've never damaged it yourself (e.g., by dropping it), then contact Samsung for warranty repair.

If you have dropped it or otherwise damaged it, though, warranty won't cover anything, and that could also explain how moisture might get into the phone. Regardless of IP rating, a phone's water resistance will often be negated if there's any break to the structural integrity (e.g., a crack that you might not be able to see with the naked eye).

If the phone has an IP rating, it will be mentioned in the manual. Can you find it in the manual? If not, then it's not IP rated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I looked through the manual -- there's no mention of IP rating, so therefore it doesn't have one: samsung.com/levant/support/model/SM-A305FZKFMID/#spec. I can't account for what other websites say, but you can't always believe what you read on the web.:-\

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Diddy. Appreciate your help. I already contacted Samsung and they told me it is not IP68. They too hard unhappy sites are saying they are IP68, some reviewers on youtube do the same and go further with splash testing. Bad information spreads easily.

The cloth was not dry but it wasnt ringing wet like it was raining, which makes me question the product durability due to rain, lots of things out of ones control could happen like wet jeans pocket etc.

Anyway back to the issue at hand. It did flash up that thunderbolt icon very quickly which gave me hope but no response since then.

I guess all I can do is wait for it to dry, if by then its still not working, then I will have to hand it to samsung.

There was enough moisture to leave traces, ie beads of water on the screen, Im wondering if they got under the back case and then some how got inside the phone. I will NEVER use a damp rung cloth on a phone again. Ive never had this issue with windows phones, I didnt expect it to cause catastrophic failure.

What should I do, mention the earlier bircking via the screensaver?

How do I know if its going to cost me money, will they tell me before hand?

At this point I want to sell the phone if it works again. I love the SAMOLED, but I would have gone the RN7 due to more power had I known this wasnt ip68.

So does rice really help drying or is it a gimick??

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
I looked through the manual -- there's no mention of IP rating, so therefore it doesn't have one: samsung.com/levant/support/model/SM-A305FZKFMID/#spec. I can't account for what other websites say, but you can't always believe what you read on the web.:-\

100%. Its taught me a lesson, dont rely on review sites like techgadget. I honestly thought I was doing the right thing with a damp rung cloth. :-(

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante