My phone feels not as snappy as when I initially set it up. Why?

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm pretty well versed with my phone and the settings in it. I have an Samsung A6 SM-A600A. It's unlocked from my carrier. I'm here in the US.

I'm using 78% of my internal storage. That's 25.12 GB / 32.00 GB.

I am running the Super NOVA Prime launcher instead of the stock one.

I'm a little on the minimalistic side, so I've turned off ALL the animations, etc. I like phones to be snappy and fast when opening applications, etc.

Even though I've done all that, it seems the Android OS lags or stutters when opening some applications, or other native tasks for the first time. It could be, the browser, Android Auto, text message, or really any app.

It's really been frustrating since I got this phone new (I can't return it now) and I set it up as a new phone.

The phone of course works very well when it's fresh and has virtually no apps on it. These problems only happen after I get all my downloaded apps set up.

1. I'm wondering if some of my problems are from I am using most of my internal storage space?

2. Is the processor just so inferior that this is just how these phones perform?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that's correct. I try to (at least recently) on my Samsung A6 keep everything stock with the exception of turning the animations down to x.5. If I turned the animations off completely some apps (Waze) would get a little buggy when using. Also with animations off I noticed the phone would be a littler choppier with navigation through apps, scrolling, etc. sometimes. I stopped using custom launchers all together and all that to sees if it would help improve the phone's speed. So far, it's been a good experience, but I'm outgrowing my phone. I want a better/faster user experience. I'm not a very feature driven person. I used to love the Samsung S9 with all the cool bells and whistles, but I've gotten over all of that.

Since my A6 has been frustrating me lately with how it's been performing. I generally always turn off most features of the phone such as, Bixby, Gestures, Face Unlock, most notifications. I only leave on WiFi, BT, and NFC when necessary. I try to keep the phone as stock as possible while staying optimized. I also turn off most app notifications and prevent as many apps from running in the background that I don't need 24/7.

I'm starting to lean more towards the 7 or 7T, maybe a little more towards the 7T direction. I want a phone that's going to last me years without having to shell out $600+. Why didn't you go with the 7T initially?

I bought the 7 in July, well before the T was available.

And about the animations. Yes, 0x are a bit radical, some things won't work and the whole experience is not fluid at all. I prefer 0.5x as well.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I just tried the OnePlus 7T (the other models weren't present) and the Google Pixel 4 in the store. I'm very impressed honestly. I actually like both phones. Although, looking at the specs I'm not super happy about the battery life of the Pixel. I did like the smaller form of the phone.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
That's pretty good

I thought so. I'm going to see if I can order one today in the store.

I was thinking about purchasing the 64 gb. I remember earlier in this thread someone mentioned I shouldn't be filling up the storage to something like 50% capacity or whatnot because it can adversely affect a phone. Is that going to be a problem if I do that on this phone?

On a side note, I wanted to know a little more about Android background processes capability. I run apps like IFTTT, Amazon Alexa, etc. that constantly scan your location and other factors to trigger certain apps, tasks, and all that. Among other apps that run in the background like social media and chat apps, how do Androids handle background processes? Basically, I'm wondering if I'm overtaxing my Android phones too much which could contribute to poor performance? I am a little bit of a medium to heavy app user. I can't imagine I have that many intensive backgrounds apps.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I thought so. I'm going to see if I can order one today in the store.

I was thinking about purchasing the 64 gb. I remember earlier in this thread someone mentioned I shouldn't be filling up the storage to something like 50% capacity or whatnot because it can adversely affect a phone. Is that going to be a problem if I do that on this phone?

On a side note, I wanted to know a little more about Android background processes capability. I run apps like IFTTT, Amazon Alexa, etc. that constantly scan your location and other factors to trigger certain apps, tasks, and all that. Among other apps that run in the background like social media and chat apps, how do Androids handle background processes? Basically, I'm wondering if I'm overtaxing my Android phones too much which could contribute to poor performance? I am a little bit of a medium to heavy app user. I can't imagine I have that many intensive backgrounds apps.
Up to 50 percent of your storage shouldn't be a issue but if you think you go beyond that go for 128gb , the One Plus you'll get more storage for the money though .

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Up to 50 percent of your storage shouldn't be a issue but if you think you go beyond that go for 128gb , the One Plus you'll get more storage for the money though .

Okay, yeah I tended to hover around the 32 GB range if I was being conservative. That's good to hear though. Thanks!

After trying the Google Pixel 4 in the store and finding out that it doesn't have a fingerprint sensor, I've decided to buy the 7T. If it doesn't work out, I'll return it and find the Pixel 4 on eBay since by that point all the promotions will have ended.

I'm surprised I changed my mind. I'm just HOPING the bigger form factor doesn't make me dislike the phone.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Okay, yeah I tended to over around the 32 GB range if I was being conservative. That's good to hear though. Thanks!

After trying the Google Pixel 4 in the store and finding out that it doesn't have a fingerprint sensor, I've decided to buy the 7T. If it doesn't work out, I'll return it and find the Pixel 4 on eBay since by that point all the promotions will have ended.

I'm surprised I changed my mind. I'm just HOPING the bigger form factor doesn't make me dislike the phone.
Well usually you get 14 day return period

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I just picked up the phone from the FedEx office yesterday morning. I have the phone fully set up to my liking. I didn't enable any Developer Options. I mostly tinkered with apps and changed some settings around. I'm very impressed with the quality and speed/experience of the phone. My only complaint is the form factor. I'm still getting used to it. It's not as easy for me to manipulate the phone in my hand. The other issue is it's sometimes a pain for me to reach all the way to the top of the screen to press an app while holding the phone in one hand. I'm sure I'll be able to adjust to this over time. It's just going to take some to get used to.

I actually had one question that I couldn't find online. When the Google keyboard comes up on a message there is a mini keyboard icon on the very bottom right corner of the phone's display. When you press it, it allows me to switch keyboards. How do I completely remove that icon? My finger sometimes hits it when I'm pressing the "enter" key".

I was able to do with my Galaxy S9, but I can't find the option on this phone.

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up the phone from the FedEx office yesterday morning. I have the phone fully set up to my liking. I didn't enable any Developer Options. I mostly tinkered with apps and changed some settings around. I'm very impressed with the quality and speed/experience of the phone. My only complaint is the form factor. I'm still getting used to it. It's not as easy for me to manipulate the phone in my hand. The other issue is It's sometimes a pain for me to reach all the way to the top of the screen to press an app while holding the phone in one hand. I'm sure I'll be able to adjust to this over time. It's just going to take some to get used to.

I actually had one question that I couldn't find online. When the Google keyboard comes up on a message there is a mini keyboard icon on the very bottom right corner of the phone's display. When you press it, it allows me to switch keyboards. How do I completely remove that icon? My finger sometimes hits it when I'm pressing the "enter" key".

I was able to do with my Galaxy S9, but I can't find the option on this phone.
Congrats for the new phone!

About the keyboard switcher. Are you using the old three-buttons navigation bar or full gestures?

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Congrats for the new phone!

About the keyboard switcher. Are you using the old three-buttons navigation bar or full gestures?

Thank you! It's a great experience so far. I'm just waiting on my hybrid case with a built-in screen protector.

I am using the old three-buttons navigation bar. I turned off all gestures with the exception of swipe up for apps and swipe down for the controls at the top of the screen.

(Update)

I had my password manager app enabled as a keyboard. When I turned that keyboard off, the "switch keyboard" option disappeared.

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! It's a great experience so far. I'm just waiting on my hybrid case with a built-in screen protector.

I am using the old three-buttons navigation bar. I turned off all gestures with the exception of swipe up for apps and swipe down for the controls at the top of the screen.
I think there's no way to remove that icon when using the three-buttons navigation. There are other icons that use that position as well, like when auto-rotate is disabled.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Wait, maybe there's a way. I switched to three buttons to check it our and I don't get that symbol. I changed a couple of values in the past for Android System notifications so maybe. there's an option there.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Ha! I just saw your edit. Glad it's gone :)

Yes! I am ecstatic. The password manager still functions correctly, so there's no need to keep the keyboard enabled.

I can't think of anything else to complain about. The phone is enjoyable, haha.

Thank you for helping me out along this journey. It's not easy to pick a phone with all this new tech coming out constantly. More importantly, it's hard for me to justify the price of a 600+ phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle