Format SD card that has been set as internal storage for other phone

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So a few years ago I set an SD card as Internal Sotrage on my ZTE Axon 7, but that phone got damaged beyond repair (at least not in my budget). I had all my files backed up in the cloud and on my PC, so I don't really care about loosing my files, but I do care about loosing an 64gb SD card. No other device can even detect that I have it plugged into it (I tried my LG V30 it tries to format it and fails every time and I can't see it in the file manager of the phone or my PC). I know that there is no hope of recovering it as the encription key died with the old phone, but is there a way to format the card so I can use it again without the phone it was originally formatted for?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So a few years ago I set an SD card as Internal Sotrage on my ZTE Axon 7, but that phone got damaged beyond repair (at least not in my budget). I had all my files backed up in the cloud and on my PC, so I don't really care about loosing my files, but I do care about loosing an 64gb SD card. No other device can even detect that I have it plugged into it (I tried my LG V30 it tries to format it and fails every time and I can't see it in the file manager of the phone or my PC). I know that there is no hope of recovering it as the encription key died with the old phone, but is there a way to format the card so I can use it again without the phone it was originally formatted for?
Hi, if you can register a account here , me or other members be happy to assist you.
I'll leave a link to register so you can communicate here.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If the card isn't detected by any device (even if you insert it into your PC's card reader), then the card itself is probably dead and completely unusable.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Plug it into your PC, then run MiniTool Partition Wizard. If that can't see it, the card is shot (as often happens when you use a card as internal storage). But if it can see it, just format it as FAT32 (it doesn't do exFAT yet). At that point, the phone should see it, and you can format it properly.

[Edit]
The new version - 11 - does support exFAT, so just format it as exFAT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy