Galaxy Tab S2 Google Maps can't connect or is blank

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

IT manager with 200+ tablets in the field. All day, every day I have to assist with maps issues. Our MDM solution doesn't allow me to take control of the tablets and I have to talk the user through fixing it.

The issue is either:

1. The map is blank and I have to take the tablet out of kiosk mode, go to the play store and reenter the password. I then install the update and the maps display properly. It seems that every time there is an update it makes the maps blank.

2. Or the map says it can't connect, check the internet connection. I once again have to take the tablet out of kiosk mode, go to the play store and reenter the password. Once there I see there isn't an update for google maps but by simply entering the password the maps are allowed to connect again.

Any solutions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does your MDM app have an option to give full permissions to certain apps? Can it limit the access either partially or totally for certain apps?

ChrisMeece

May 15, 2019
Visit site
It looks like I have Google Maps - Navigate & Explore 9.75.1 apk in MDM catalog. B. Diddy, you got me thinking. It looks like the newest version for our tablets are 10.20.1. I could add that to our bundle and push it out.

Still looking for the settings for app permissions. I am using Maas360.

ChrisMeece

May 15, 2019
Visit site
How do I discern what apk I need to deploy?

I am trying to keep some tablets in the field updated by pushing updated apk files for google maps, ADP, and a few other apps. I am surprised how difficult it has been to find the most current, "official" apk files. I have found several mirror sites but not sure which to trust. Secondly I am having trouble finding which version to download even if I know the current number that works on our tablets. (I manually upgraded one and looked on there) The site I was on also differentiated by device’s DPI, architecture, screen size, and other specs.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: How do I discern what apk I need to deploy?

Are you using some kind of MDM solution? The Android@Work solution should allow for approving apps from the Play Store so they are installed and updated directly from there rather than pushing APK's and having to figure out what version is needed for a particular device.

ChrisMeece

May 15, 2019
Visit site

I am using MaaS360 and I only have viewing capabilities on the tablets. I have to talk the end user through taking the tablet out of kiosk mode and reentering the play store password to update it. It seems the password expires monthly and has to be reentered. We have 200+ tablets in the field.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I am trying to keep some tablets in the field updated by pushing updated apk files for google maps, ADP, and a few other apps. I am surprised how difficult it has been to find the most current, "official" apk files. I have found several mirror sites but not sure which to trust. Secondly I am having trouble finding which version to download even if I know the current number that works on our tablets. (I manually upgraded one and looked on there) The site I was on also differentiated by device’s DPI, architecture, screen size, and other specs.

Any thoughts?
I use APK Mirror
https://www.apkmirror.com/

ChrisMeece

May 15, 2019
Visit site
Hope you don't mind, I merged your similar threads to consolidate the discussion.

Thank you, that makes it easier to follow.

I have found a universal apk that I pushed to an individual tablet. (In my MDM I set it as an additional version) It seems to have overwritten the installed version but when I go to play store>my apps and game it still shows there is an update for google maps. This update is 26 mb where as the one I pushed was 56 mb.