Hey guys,

I'm trying to make a tough choice here and wanted to ask for your advice. I've been using a J7 2015 for a bit over 3 years now, and the phone works completely fine. Bit slow sometimes, but no biggie. But I have a friend who recently broke the screen on her A7 2017 and she told me I can keep it if I get it fixed. The outer glass itself seems to be intact, the only thing that broke seems to be the inner LCD screen. I took it to a shop and they told me they would fix it for $80. Is it worth it to get it fixed and switch to the A7? The only thing is the A7 doesn't have a replaceable battery, and I was planning to get a new battery for my J7 soon, so I'm not sure if that would be a downside.
    What do you guys think?
    07-25-2019 09:36 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I'd say that as long as the A7 works fine, its probably worth it. The J7 is on what, Marshmallow? The A7 is presumably on Oreo, and I saw some articles speculating on whether it might get Pie -- there's a lot to be said about having a more recent system version, from a security standpoint alone.

Assuming your friend didn't trash the battery while she had the phone (e.g., letting it drain to zero on a regular basis), it should still give you a good couple of years of use before it starts deteriorating. $80 over 2 years is a pretty good value proposition!
    07-25-2019 12:50 PM
    I'd bring it to another few shops, just for a quick estimate. $80 seems like an awfully small price, even to just open the phone, then seal it up again. (Around here, just to replace the charging port on a simple phone like the S5 costs about $95 - and this is a low-income area.)

If everyone there charges under $100, it pays if, as B. Diddy said, the battery is good. (I'd ask the tech to check the battery too and, if it's iffy, and the price isn't bad, I'd have him replace that too, while he has the phone open. Opening and closing are a large part of the repair bill. (The battery can be gotten - by him, he;ll want to make some profit on it - for about $9.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-25-2019 05:17 PM