Hi,

I have an Acer c720 which I am having difficulty installing any other OS on.

I have run mrchromebox.tech's fwscript and used option 3 to install a Full Rom. It now boots up in Shell and all instances of ChromeOS have been removed. Unfortunately I don't know how to install any other OS onto it now. I'm not sure where to find the install media for Linux or any other version of ChromeOS (Neverware etc.) which will install from the Shell command.

Can anybody help me with this?
    07-26-2019 09:57 AM
    Hi,

I have an Acer c720 which I am having difficulty installing any other OS on.

I have run mrchromebox.tech's fwscript and used option 3 to install a Full Rom. It now boots up in Shell and all instances of ChromeOS have been removed. Unfortunately I don't know how to install any other OS onto it now. I'm not sure where to find the install media for Linux or any other version of ChromeOS (Neverware etc.) which will install from the Shell command.

Can anybody help me with this?
    Hi, if you can register a account here, me or other members be happy to assist you.
    I'll provide a link to register so you can communicate here.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    urtyboy likes this.
    07-26-2019 11:09 AM
    Thanks I've registered now
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-26-2019 11:20 AM
    Thanks I've registered now
    Hi , thanks for registering!
    Let me see if he's available @Rukbat
    urtyboy likes this.
    07-26-2019 11:51 AM
    It runs an Intel Celeron with 2GB of RAM, so any version of Linux will do, but a smaller distro would be better. See https://www.google.com/search?client...++linux+distro for ideas.

As far as installing, you don't install from the shell, you install from a (in this case external) CD or DVD (or thumb drive*, if your computer can be set to boot from USB). Either burn the iso to the disk or use a program like https://www.recoverywindowspassword....usb-drive.html to install it to a thumb drive. Then boot the disk or thumb drive and choose to run Linux. In the Linux desktop, choose the installer, and let it install to the internal drive. (It will overwrite the "Full Rom", and you'll be left with whichever distro of Linux you chose.)

In other words, a standard Linux installation, with no mranything's "script" is necessary to install Linux to any computer it was written for - in this case . Since the processor is a 64 bit processor, choose a 64 bit implementation of whichever distro of Linux you choose.

*You can also use an SD card or a microSD card.
    urtyboy and mustang7757 like this.
    07-26-2019 12:48 PM
    Many thanks Rukbat & Mustang7757, I will give this a go and let you know how it goes!

I tried installing Linux before via usb thumb drive but it wouldn't install but maybe I was using the wrong image type.

Thanks again,

urtyboy
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-26-2019 02:38 PM
    Many thanks Rukbat & Mustang7757, I will give this a go and let you know how it goes!

I tried installing Linux before via usb thumb drive but it wouldn't install but maybe I was using the wrong image type.

Thanks again,

urtyboy
    Your welcome , big thanks to rukbat
    07-26-2019 02:43 PM