Moto X4: Not receiving latest security update

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello,

I have a Moto X4 phone, which has not received any security updates since April 1st. I have tried all avenues including hard factory reset and it did not help. My phone says that it is on the latest patch, although another Moto X4 in the household has May 1st update.

I called Motorola support they said they do not control software updates and I should check with Google or Carrier. I am getting a run around and not able to find out who pushes security updates to my device and how I can get the latest one.

How are these updates pushed? My phone is not with a specific carrier. I bought it from Best Buy and use StraightTalk. How is that Motorola, which announced the availability of patch not control the push? Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks,
Arvind.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

I have a Moto X4 phone, which has not received any security updates since April 1st. I have tried all avenues including hard factory reset and it did not help. My phone says that it is on the latest patch, although another Moto X4 in the household has May 1st update.

I called Motorola support they said they do not control software updates and I should check with Google or Carrier. I am getting a run around and not able to find out who pushes security updates to my device and how I can get the latest one.

How are these updates pushed? My phone is not with a specific carrier. I bought it from Best Buy and use StraightTalk. How is that Motorola, which announced the availability of patch not control the push? Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks,
Arvind.
Hi , if you can register a account here , me or other members be happy to assist.

I'll provide a link to register so you can communicate here.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What's the exact model number of your X4? The Android One version probably gets updates on a more regular basis, but if your version is carrier-specific, those often don't get updated as much (and also have to be on the original carrier's network to get the official system updates).

Moto_Rob

Jul 28, 2019
Visit site
All,

Same problem here in Texas. My (retailus) X4 xt1900-1 is still running on the April update too. This is the non AndroidOne version. Phone shows current version to be PPW29.69-39-2 dated April 1, 2019.

Oddly, my daughter’s (google_fi) X4 xt1900-1 AndroidOne version just received the July update yesterday. Her current version is PPWS29.69-39-2-3 dated July 1, 2019.

Maybe we non AndroidOne X4 users will be getting it soon???

Also...both of our Motorola X4 phones are unlocked versions purchased at Best Buy 6-8 months apart. Mine is the retail version, and the other is the AndroidOne version. We are running on AT&T.

Another family member also has an AndroidOne X4. I’ll check with her later today to see if she received the July update. Stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arvind22

Jul 28, 2019
Visit site
Diddy and Mustang, thanks for the quick responses.
Model number of my Moto X4 is XT1900-1. It is on Android Version 9 (PPW29.69-39-2). I bought this as a carrier-agnostic (unlocked) phone at Best Buy and I have StraightTalk sim in it. When I bought it, it was advertised as Andriod One with stock android experience (and it is). Thanks for any help you can offer.
Thanks,
Arvind.

Moto_Rob

Jul 28, 2019
Visit site
Arvin,

Can you check what “Software Channel” your phone is in. Go to Settings - System - About phone. My older X4 (the one stuck on April Update) is in the RETUS channel. That’s retail USA I guess?

My daughter’s phone is in the same retus channel, but also shows a Software Variant of GOOGLE_FI listed right above the channel info. My X4 does not show this field. Her phone is definitely an AndroidOne phone, and it appears to be updating normally.

Still hoping we get this update soon.

I have really LOVED my X4! From features to price, it is a great phone! If Motorola would just make an X5 with similar features and updated specs, I would buy at least 3 of them immediately!

Arvind22

Jul 28, 2019
Visit site
Thank Moto_Rob.
My software channel also shows RETUS - with no Software Variant. I have another X4 that also has RETUS and pretty much the same settings. The second phone has May 1st Security Update, but the first one is stuck on April 1st.
Thanks,
Arvind.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing it has to do with the difference between the Android One version and the non-Android One version. I tried to figure it out on Moto's support site, but that's a futile task.:(

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Diddy and Mustang, thanks for the quick responses.
Model number of my Moto X4 is XT1900-1. It is on Android Version 9 (PPW29.69-39-2). I bought this as a carrier-agnostic (unlocked) phone at Best Buy and I have StraightTalk sim in it. When I bought it, it was advertised as Andriod One with stock android experience (and it is). Thanks for any help you can offer.
Thanks,
Arvind.
Thanks for registering,
Hope you got the help needed.

Arvind22

Jul 28, 2019
Visit site
Any insights into how I can check if my X4 is on Android One? I recall my phone being advertised as Android One when I bought it at Best Buy. I have no leads on who to approach for the latest security update. Please help.

Arvind.

Arvind22

Jul 28, 2019
Visit site
Thanks Diddy. Looks like mine is not Android One version :(. Where can I find if the latest patch available for Retail version? Is there anyway I can manually get the latest update?

Thanks,
Arvind.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's up to Motorola (and the carrier, if it's a carrier-specific phone) to come out with an official update for a specific phone variant. If they haven't made one, then you're stuck.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All,

Same problem here in Texas. My (retailus) X4 xt1900-1 is still running on the April update too. This is the non AndroidOne version. Phone shows current version to be PPW29.69-39-2 dated April 1, 2019.

Oddly, my daughter’s (google_fi) X4 xt1900-1 AndroidOne version just received the July update yesterday. Her current version is PPWS29.69-39-2-3 dated July 1, 2019.

Maybe we non AndroidOne X4 users will be getting it soon???

Not that updates vary across US states..

Moto_Rob

Jul 28, 2019
Visit site
Dear Moto X4 users with the retail, unlocked, non Android One versions, it looks like the July update has finally been released! I was notified earlier today, and installed it when I got home.

Android 9
Version PPWS29.69-39-2-3
Security patch level: July 1, 2019

I love the Motorola X4! I bought another one last weekend to replace a dying Samsung S5 for my Mother-in-law. It was the Android One version with 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM.

Amazon and Best Buy had a crazy sale for only $ 159 . The phone is back to $ 199 now , but still a Great deal! Qualcomm 630 processor, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB ROM storage, IP68 water proof, headphone jack, NFC, USB-C turbo charging, FM radio, works on ALL carriers, great support from Motorola, and more!

It did take two days and 13-15 updates, but it finally updated to July 1, 2019.

There are 4 Moto X4s in the family now!

Thank you Motorola for continuing to support this GREAT phone! Please consider producing an upgraded X4 in the future. Let’s see an X5! You will sell out!

From a very Happy Moto user in Texas!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante