StraightTalk is dropping 4g service on December 31, 2019. They say I have to buy one of their VoLTE phones. I love my ZTE Max Duo which is only 2 years old. I've tried 2 other carriers compatibility tests and failed. Is there any way to fix this compatibility problem? Or can I find a regular cell phone provider and dump this nonsense?
    07-30-2019 10:19 AM
    Do you have an article link or anything on this? 4G shouldn't be getting dropped any time soon, and VoLTE runs on 4G networks. I've heard Verizon is dropping CDMA support, but couldn't find anything about Straight Talk to look into your concern.
    07-30-2019 12:54 PM
    I've deleted the emails but the ad they mailed via snail mail says visit: extras.straighttalk.com./en/survival-guide. Their ad says "A more powerful network is here and action is required to keep your service. ALL DEVICES MUST BE VoLTE capable."
    07-30-2019 05:08 PM
    It probably means they're dropping 2G (which is historically what phones have used for voice calls), in favor of using VoLTE (i.e., calls over 4G). So you have to make sure your phone is capable of VoLTE on the Straight Talk network. Have you checked with Straight Talk to confirm that your Max Duo won't be compatible?
    07-30-2019 09:22 PM
    They haven't offered any compatibility test. They just say"To keep your service upgrade to the new technology with a VoLTE capable phone."
    Dropping cdma does make sense though. This phone uses cdma. I'll have to see if there are any cdma carriers out here. I'm out in the country. Could be I spent too much for what will now be an MP3 player that takes pictures.
    07-30-2019 10:33 PM
    Hmm, CDMA phones can be tricky, since CDMA carriers can be a pain about activating a phone that you bring to the carrier from somewhere else.
    07-30-2019 10:41 PM
    I think the only other option in the U.S. is Sprint or a carrier using their network. I wouldn't be surprised if those days are likely numbered too.
    07-30-2019 10:46 PM
    And Sprint is notorious for limiting which unlocked phones it'll allow to run on their network.
    07-30-2019 10:56 PM
    And Sprint is notorious for limiting which unlocked phones it'll allow to run on their network.
    There are a number of MVNO's that use Sprint, so that may be an option too.
    07-30-2019 11:15 PM
    Guess I'll just have to buy the cheapest thing I can find and try to get by for a few years. By then the 5g phones should have all the bugs worked out and prices will be lower. I guess I was mistaken when I learned the term: LTE - Long Term Evolution. It's should be STE - Short Term Extinction. Thanks for the help guys.
    07-31-2019 07:59 PM
    PS: Does anyone know how I can change my username? When I set up my account I used my name. Kim Komando says, "Bad idea." I've tried to change it in my profile but it's locked. I contacted Central but no answer.
    07-31-2019 08:04 PM
    Guess I'll just have to buy the cheapest thing I can find and try to get by for a few years. By then the 5g phones should have all the bugs worked out and prices will be lower. I guess I was mistaken when I learned the term: LTE - Long Term Evolution. It's should be STE - Short Term Extinction. Thanks for the help guys.
    It's CDMA on its way out. 4G LTE is sticking around a while longer for sure. VoLTE literally stands for "Voice over LTE."

As for your profile name issue, I'll pass word along and see if there's any way to change it. I'm a Komando fan too, btw. Don't get to listen often, though.
    07-31-2019 08:31 PM
    PS: Does anyone know how I can change my username? When I set up my account I used my name. Kim Komando says, "Bad idea." I've tried to change it in my profile but it's locked. I contacted Central but no answer.
    Email accounts@mobilenations.com and they should be able to help you.
    07-31-2019 08:42 PM