Galaxy s8 Stuck in Safe Mode with unresponsive volume down key

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

The volume down key on my phone stopped working after some water got into the phone. I dried the phone and it booted into the maintanence boot menu. For some time I was stuck in this menu because the bixby key was not receiving input on this screen and the cursor would scroll down to the last option immediately. This indicates that the phone is recieving constant signals from the volume down key.

In order to get out of the maintenance boot window I removed and reattached the battery cable. The phone booted up into safe mode, at which point I discovered that safe mode is triggered by the volume down key during start up. After startup the phone operates fine but the volume down key does not work. I should note that the key is not stuck down and is still able to be pressed from the outside.

Thinking that there must be damage to the keys, I broke the phone down and replaced the volume keys. After rebooting with entirely new volume buttons installed, I still have the same issue as before. The volume down key STILL does not work while the volume up key does. the bixby key was damaged during the replacement and now also does not work.

If anyone has any ideas pls halp.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The volume down key on my phone stopped working after some water got into the phone. I dried the phone and it booted into the maintanence boot menu. For some time I was stuck in this menu because the bixby key was not receiving input on this screen and the cursor would scroll down to the last option immediately. This indicates that the phone is recieving constant signals from the volume down key.

In order to get out of the maintenance boot window I removed and reattached the battery cable. The phone booted up into safe mode, at which point I discovered that safe mode is triggered by the volume down key during start up. After startup the phone operates fine but the volume down key does not work. I should note that the key is not stuck down and is still able to be pressed from the outside.

Thinking that there must be damage to the keys, I broke the phone down and replaced the volume keys. After rebooting with entirely new volume buttons installed, I still have the same issue as before. The volume down key STILL does not work while the volume up key does. the bixby key was damaged during the replacement and now also does not work.

If anyone has any ideas pls halp.
Hi , if you can register a account here , me or other members be happy to assist.

I'll provide a link to register so you can communicate here.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It probably has more to do with the actual switch for the Vol Down button, or the circuitry involved (which was likely damaged by the water). I agree with belodion, you'd have to take it to a repair shop.