Phone call floating icon appears during a call. How to get rid of it?

Andrew Brehm

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Since I use my new phone a blue floating icon appears whenever I am on a call. It is always in the way and no matter how much I move it around it will sooner or later be in a place where I want something below it or accidentally touch it. How do I disable the floating blue call icon?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which phone? This is when you minimize the Phone app so you can do other things? On my Pixel 3 XL, I don't think there's a way to get rid of that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Which phone? This is when you minimize the Phone app so you can do other things? On my Pixel 3 XL, I don't think there's a way to get rid of that.
If it's a pixel there is a work around, long press the phone dialer icon> tap info>tap permission appear over other apps toggle off .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ooh, good idea! But I assume the ongoing call won't be a notification, so presumably you'd have to tap the Phone app icon to get back to your call.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ooh, good idea! But I assume the ongoing call won't be a notification, so presumably you'd have to tap the Phone app icon to get back to your call.
I haven't tested it out but I helped another member and they said all was good except 1 call came up floating and haven't heard again.

Andrew Brehm

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
It's a BlackBerry Key 2 LE. I seem to remember that the first time I long-pressed on the blue icon there was an option to dismiss it. But the blue icon has since re-appeared and the option to dismiss is no longer there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Then that goes back to what we were initially talking about -- the floating icon is for an active call when you exit from the main Phone interface and go to the homescreen or open another app. It's a way for you to easily control a call while you're doing other things on the phone. I don't think there's a way to get rid of that with Google's Phone app.

Andrew Brehm

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Turns out I can disable the Phone app's permission to draw over other apps.

Go to "Setting" then "Apps and Notification". Then "See All Apps" at bottom. Select "Phone" app, then disable "draw over other apps".

I can easily control a call using the Phone app icon on my launcher which is not floating over other things I need to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835