Contact numbers don't work in another country

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have contact numbers for people in the UK and can call them from Canada. When I go to the UK the contact numbers don't work because, it seems, that Android doesn't store the country code as a separate item and can't figure out that the phone is in a different country and needs to dial that number without the country code. This was not a problem with my old Blackberry, or my Windows phone that were smart enough to figure it out!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have contact numbers for people in the UK and can call them from Canada. When I go to the UK the contact numbers don't work because, it seems, that Android doesn't store the country code as a separate item and can't figure out that the phone is in a different country and needs to dial that number without the country code. This was not a problem with my old Blackberry, or my Windows phone that were smart enough to figure it out!
Hi , if you can register a account here , me or other members be happy to assist.I'll provide a link to register so you can communicate here.https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry had their own way of doing things. The stock Android method is to dial the number in the contact, so if the number is 44 123 456 7890, that's what's going to be dialed wherever you are. You're going to have to keep 2 contact lists (use Groups) or put 2 numbers in for each contact, one with the overseas number, one with the local number. (You can't call Canada from the UK without the 1 in front either. 44 is UK, 1 is North America, including Puerto Rico, Turks and Caicos Islands and Guam.) (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_country_calling_codes if you want th whole word numbering plan.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open the Phone app, tap Menu>Settings>Assisted Dialing, and make sure that's turned off (or, if it's off, see if turning it on helps).