I have read quite a bit, on Reddit and other forums/sites, on how people back up and restore their android devices when getting a new phone and it seems everyone just does something different or choose from multiple ways to approach this kind of situation. I have done it in the past and was able to back up and restore everything without losing anything but I don't remember if I used Smart Switch or some other software. I also wanna do it only if it's necessary.

What I wanna do is root the Note 7. I have never rooted a phone before but have wanted to for removing bloatware and making the phone faster but what other reasons are there to root? I mean really good reasons. I was wondering if it's possible to root a phone and still restore everything but then I looked at all my apps and realized I don't need too. Some apps save everything online and will restore once I install the app and sign in to my account like the notes app I use. I wanna back up app data for certain apps like Shazam, voice recording apps plus my text messages, call logs and contacts, pics and vids. Is there a way to just transfer certain apps?

So, is it possible to root and then restore or vice versa? How do I go about this?

Thanks
    08-07-2019 10:13 AM
    I have read quite a bit, on Reddit and other forums/sites, on how people back up and restore their android devices when getting a new phone and it seems everyone just does something different or choose from multiple ways to approach this kind of situation. I have done it in the past and was able to back up and restore everything without losing anything but I don't remember if I used Smart Switch or some other software. I also wanna do it only if it's necessary.

What I wanna do is root the Note 7. I have never rooted a phone before but have wanted to for removing bloatware and making the phone faster but what other reasons are there to root? I mean really good reasons. I was wondering if it's possible to root a phone and still restore everything but then I looked at all my apps and realized I don't need too. Some apps save everything online and will restore once I install the app and sign in to my account like the notes app I use. I wanna back up app data for certain apps like Shazam, voice recording apps plus my text messages, call logs and contacts, pics and vids. Is there a way to just transfer certain apps?

So, is it possible to root and then restore or vice versa? How do I go about this?

Thanks
    Hi , if you can register a account here , me or other members be happy to assist.I'll provide a link to register so you can communicate here.https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    08-07-2019 10:31 AM
    To unlock the Note 7 see https://forum.xda-developers.com/red...oader-t3890751

(Note - in step 3b, enable both. In step 4a, the phone may ask if it should allow connection from that PC. If it's your PC, check the "always" box. Then, either way, say yes.)

You can't use Smart Switch on a Redmi - a Samsung Note 7, yes, a Redmi Note 7, no.

You can get TWRP for the Note 7 at https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomiredminote7pro.html

Depending on the variant of the Note 4, you may be able to get TWRP for it at https://twrp.me/Devices/Samsung/

If you can install TWRP on both phones, run Tipatch (on both) to add your local data to the backup, then just create a backup of data only (in TWRP) on the Note 4, copy it to the PC, make a backup in the Note 7 (just so you have the proper folder structure), copy the Note 4 backup folder to the correct folder on the Note 7 (the name of one folder in the chain is the phone's serial number, so I can't give you the path) and do a restore using the Note 4's backup file. (And keep TWRP on the Note 7 - it's handy, when doing anything that might mess the phone up, to do a backup. Then, if something goes wrong, the worst you have to do is install TWRP again, then restore the backup.)

.If you can't install TWRP in the Note 4, you'll have to do the backup and restore manually - see Backing up an Android Device.
    08-07-2019 03:50 PM
    I had an account already but had to make a new one because I forgot the password and the password reset function isn't working on Chrome or Edge
    08-08-2019 08:09 AM
    Thanks, Rukbat. Is rooting out of the question after backup/restore?
    08-08-2019 08:17 AM
    Thanks, Rukbat. Is rooting out of the question after backup/restore?
    Just make sure if you going to root have a plan to know how to get back to stock firmware incase something goes bad . Get familiar and watch some YouTube videos.
    Thanks for signing back in .
    08-08-2019 08:32 AM
    @Mustang, is that a yes or no?
    08-09-2019 08:22 AM
    Rooting is always possible, but some phones require you to unlock the bootloader to root, and doing that wipes the phone, so you either want to do it when you get the phone and haven't set it up yet, or after you back it up.
    08-09-2019 12:55 PM