Home Android Central Q&A > Ask a Question

[SOLVED] Samsung Internet opening to random spam sites

Asked: Aug 07 2019 | 8:30 pm EDT 67532 Views 126 Answers View Best Answer

Over the past few weeks I've had random blog style websites (getfitnessinfo, thisdaythatage, some page about the history of uber) opening themselves in the default Samsung Internet Browser. It mostly happens upon unlocking my phone (galaxy s6) but has also happened once while I was using it.

I have cleared all data on the browser app, uninstalled all mildly questionable apps (I hadn't downloaded any apps around the time this began), cleared the cache of my phone in safe mode, installed Firefox and set it as my default browser (Samsung Internet continues to open anyway with the sites), ran multiple antivirus apps (Norton, Avast, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Ccleaner) and none have turned up anything. I've even gone through my files and deleted any data/app/sdk files I don't recognize or that seem suspect.

While the websites being opened do not seem malicious in nature, this has become very annoying both with the spam itself and the fact knowing something is buggering my phone. I have searched and tried multiple solutions to similar problems to no avail.

More Answers

Aug 07 2019 | 8:59 pm EDT mustang7757

Over the passed few weeks I've had random blog style websites (getfitnessinfo, thisdaythatage, some page about the history of uber) opening themselves in the default Samsung Internet Browser. It mostly happens upon unlocking my phone (galaxy s6) but has also happened once while I was using it.

I have cleared all data on the browser app, uninstalled all mildly questionable apps (I hadn't downloaded any apps around the time this began), cleared the cache of my phone in safe mode, installed firefox and set it as my default browser (samsung internet continues to open anyway with the sites), ran multiple antivirus apps (norton, avast, kaspersky, malwarebytes, ccleaner) and none have turned up anything. I've even gone through my files and deleted any data/app/sdk files I don't recognize or that seem suspect.

While the websites being opened do not seem malicious in nature, this has become very annoying both with the spam itself and the fact knowing something is buggering my phone. I have searched and tried multpile solutions to similar problems to no avail.
Hi, welcome to AC forums, me or other members would be happy to assist you but if we need to ask additional questions you'll need to register as a member to respond . I'll provide a link to register so you can reply and communicate with us .https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154

Aug 07 2019 | 9:08 pm EDT nacnuD17

Hi, welcome to AC forums, me or other members would be happy to assist you but if we need to ask additional questions you'll need to register as a member to respond . I'll provide a link to register so you can reply and communicate with us .https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
All signed up now, thanks.

Aug 07 2019 | 9:37 pm EDT mustang7757

All signed up now, thanks.
Thanks for registering!
Will be with you shortly

Aug 07 2019 | 9:41 pm EDT mustang7757

Have you cleared notifications in Samsung browser? Any add ons or extension , also long press that app and tap info , clear data ,cache and force close it

Aug 07 2019 | 9:55 pm EDT mustang7757

Welcome to Android Central! If they're opening up even when you're using some other app, it sounds like adware -- see this guide: https://forums.androidcentral.com/am...d-culprit.html
Samsung browser have adware protection but have to enable it , hopefully out suggestions help out .

Aug 07 2019 | 10:27 pm EDT nacnuD17

Have you cleared notifications in Samsung browser? Any add ons or extension , also long press that app and tap info , clear data ,cache and force close it
Yup I've done that a few times, hasn't helped sadly.

Welcome to Android Central! If they're opening up even when you're using some other app, it sounds like adware -- see this guide: https://forums.androidcentral.com/am...d-culprit.html
I've checked out that thread and sadly no help there either though I would agree it seems like adware.

I actually just had it happen again. Unlocked my phone and samsung internet was open to some fruitcares website.

Screenshots here -> http://imgur.com/a/BbHoZnM

Aug 07 2019 | 10:42 pm EDT B. Diddy

You said you cleared the cache in Safe Mode. Do you also mean that the ads appear while the phone is still in Safe Mode?

Aug 07 2019 | 10:48 pm EDT nacnuD17

You said you cleared the cache in Safe Mode. Do you also mean that the ads appear while the phone is still in Safe Mode?
Sorry safe mode may have been the wrong name for it, I meant when you turn off your phone and then hold the power, home, and volume up button until the phone boots and you clear the cache within the menu shown there.

Aug 07 2019 | 10:53 pm EDT mustang7757

That's recovery
Sorry safe mode may have been the wrong name for it, I meant when you turn off your phone and then hold the power, home, and volume up button until the phone boots and you clear the cache within the menu shown there.

Aug 07 2019 | 11:43 pm EDT nacnuD17

A little more info...

If you look at the imgur link I posted above, all of the various sites follow that exact format as though they were made by the same person.

I made a post on reddit about the issue as well and there is a user with an s6 active having the same issue as me and even a factory reset only helped for a week before the issue came back.

Is it possible this could be due to some sort of exploit within the browser itself?

Aug 07 2019 | 11:51 pm EDT mustang7757

A little more info...

If you look at the imgur link I posted above, all of the various sites follow that exact format as though they were made by the same person.

I made a post on reddit about the issue as well and there is a user with an s6 active having the same issue as me and even a factory reset only helped for a week before the issue came back.

Is it possible this could be due to some sort of exploit within the browser itself?
This is the first I've heard about this
I think maybe try some steps by not allowing to modify system or make sure download unknown apps isn't toggled I'll post screenshot[SOLVED] Samsung Internet opening to random spam sites-screenshot_20190807-235040_settings.jpeg

Aug 08 2019 | 12:34 am EDT B. Diddy

See if it still happens in Safe Mode -- these steps should work on most any Samsung phone: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-37190. This temporarily disables 3rd party apps, so if there's an app or adware you inadvertently installed that's responsible, the popups should stop. The challenge then would be to figure out which app is responsible, which may mean uninstalling apps one by one until the problem goes away.

Aug 08 2019 | 1:04 am EDT nacnuD17

This is the first I've heard about this
I think maybe try some steps by not allowing to modify system or make sure download unknown apps isn't toggled I'll post screenshotClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190807-235040_Settings.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	306417
I've disable all permissions and notifications and disabled installing from unknown sources. Still getting the pages loading.

See if it still happens in Safe Mode -- these steps should work on most any Samsung phone: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-37190. This temporarily disables 3rd party apps, so if there's an app or adware you inadvertently installed that's responsible, the popups should stop. The challenge then would be to figure out which app is responsible, which may mean uninstalling apps one by one until the problem goes away.
I will try safe mode, though it may take a while as most days it only happens 1 time.

Aug 08 2019 | 9:16 am EDT Basem Saleh

I'm having the same issue with the same phone (S6 edge) even the same pages you mentioned

Aug 08 2019 | 9:35 am EDT mustang7757

I've disable all permissions and notifications and disabled installing from unknown sources. Still getting the pages loading.

I will try safe mode, though it may take a while as most days it only happens 1 time.
If it was enabled download from other source something could got downloaded, check your file manager and see anything unusual.

Aug 08 2019 | 10:13 am EDT nacnuD17

I'm having the same issue with the same phone (S6 edge) even the same pages you mentioned
I've made a post on reddit and another user with a samsung s6 active has the exact issue as well and even after a factory reset the issue came back in a week.

Something I noticed while trying to figure out what is going on is that even if wifi is off the websites will still try to open (the url is a bit,ly link when it first tries to load).

If it was enabled download from other source something could got downloaded, check your file manager and see anything unusual.
It was disabled, I've still gone through with file manager and found nothing.

Aug 08 2019 | 10:21 am EDT mustang7757

I've made a post on reddit and another user with a samsung s6 active has the exact issue as well and even after a factory reset the issue came back in a week.

Something I noticed while trying to figure out what is going on is that even if wifi is off the websites will still try to open (the url is a bit,ly link when it first tries to load).

It was disabled, I've still gone through with file manager and found nothing.
This might lead to a fresh factory reset .

Aug 08 2019 | 10:28 am EDT Golurk

Try using the Device Maintenance software (in built) to scan all your apps for potential adware/malware. If this problem started recently, then think of any apps that you downloaded around the same time. Hopefully that could narrow down the list of potential culprits.

You might also want to check recent downloads in your Files app and see if you find anything suspicious.

Aug 08 2019 | 10:46 am EDT nacnuD17

This might lead to a fresh factory reset .
According to a user on reddit after he did a factory reset the issue returned in a week.

Aug 08 2019 | 10:49 am EDT mustang7757

According to a user on reddit after he did a factory reset the issue returned in a week.
It depends if they transferred everything back then yes it could , have you tried safe mode ?

Aug 08 2019 | 10:52 am EDT nacnuD17

Try using the Device Maintenance software (in built) to scan all your apps for potential adware/malware. If this problem started recently, then think of any apps that you downloaded around the same time. Hopefully that could narrow down the list of potential culprits.

You might also want to check recent downloads in your Files app and see if you find anything suspicious.
I tried scanning with no luck, no apps had been downloaded around the time this began.

Checked my downloads to be sure and nothing fishy there either.

Aug 08 2019 | 10:56 am EDT nacnuD17

It depends if they transferred everything back then yes it could , have you tried safe mode ?
Thats true.

I haven't tried safe mode yet.

At the moment what I've done is I have downgraded Samsung Internet Browser to the factory version to see if that stops it. While I know it's not the best idea as, in theory, the most recent version should be the most secure and safe, I'm wondering if maybe the most recent version has some security flaw or exploit that has been allowing these sites to load.

Unforetunaly as the sites normally only open about once a day it will take until maybe mid day tomorrow to know of this has possibly helped. If it does not help and the issue persists I will try safe mode.

Aug 08 2019 | 11:00 am EDT mustang7757

Thats true.

I haven't tried safe mode yet.

At the moment what I've done is I have downgraded Samsung Internet Browser to the factory version to see if that stops it. While I know it's not the best idea as, in theory, the most recent version should be the most secure and safe, I'm wondering if maybe the most recent version has some security flaw or exploit that has been allowing these sites to load.

Unforetunaly as the sites normally only open about once a day it will take until maybe mid day tomorrow to know of this has possibly helped. If it does not help and the issue persists I will try safe mode.
The only thing that concerned me was it was unchecked for unknown source to be download so anything could of been downloaded from a site you visit without you knowing. But definitely try what you said we take it from there.

Aug 08 2019 | 11:09 am EDT nacnuD17

The only thing that concerned me was it was unchecked for unknown source to be download so anything could of been downloaded from a site you visit without you knowing. But definitely try what you said we take it from there.
Oh maybe I worded it poorly but the download from unknown sources option was NOT enabled. Meaning I couldn't download apps and things from the browser.

I will post back here with the results of using the older version, hopefully they'll be positive.

Aug 08 2019 | 11:28 am EDT mustang7757

Oh maybe I worded it poorly but the download from unknown sources option was NOT enabled. Meaning I couldn't download apps and things from the browser.

I will post back here with the results of using the older version, hopefully they'll be positive.
Oh ok , cool let us know.

Aug 08 2019 | 3:38 pm EDT stefan22

Hi, same problem here. Galaxy s6, same spam websites opening themselves twice a day in Samsung Internet Browser (when unlocking and also while using the phone). I did a factory reset, but after a few days the problem returned. I checked the “the list of recently used apps in Google Play Store” after a “pop-up” but all I see is Samsung Internet Browser. The “unknown sources” option is always off. So maybe it’s a s6 related thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 08 2019 | 3:41 pm EDT mustang7757

Hi, same problem here. Galaxy s6, same spam websites opening themselves twice a day in Samsung Internet Browser (when unlocking and also while using the phone). I did a factory reset, but after a few days the problem returned. I checked the “the list of recently used apps in Google Play Store” after a “pop-up” but all I see is Samsung Internet Browser. The “unknown sources” option is always off. So maybe it’s a s6 related thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi , welcome here !
Stay tuned as we trying to find out here, can share any info also and follow along .

Aug 08 2019 | 4:25 pm EDT Rukbat

The only solution may be a ROM flash followed by rooting, followed by uninstalling Internet (the Samsung browser) before even inserting the SIM or enabling WiFi. Then use another browser (Chrome also seems to be having some problems, so the Nightly Firefox may be the only answer. If anything gets glued into there somehow, they'd flush it the next day anyway.) But it certainly seems to be something in the S6 - the ROM itself (maybe downgrade to the last version) or the implementation of Internet for it.

If Safe Mode fixes it, it's a 3rd party app/malware/something, but if it still happens in Safe Mode, it's the ROM.

Aug 08 2019 | 5:46 pm EDT nacnuD17

So far everyone I have seen that has the same issue has had some version of the s6.

Around when did you start to notice these sites loading?

I'm still waiting for a site to pop up again after downgrading the browser but nothing yet (fingers crossed).

Aug 08 2019 | 11:10 pm EDT nacnuD17

Just thought it might be useful but looking on google play at reviews for Samsung Browser, sorting by most recent and for the most recent version I'm seeing multiple reviews all complaining about random pages opening like I am experiencing. It seems as though it may be the update after all!

Aug 08 2019 | 11:30 pm EDT mustang7757

Just thought it might be useful but looking on google play at reviews for Samsung Browser, sorting by most recent and for the most recent version I'm seeing multiple reviews all complaining about random pages opening like I am experiencing. It seems as though it may be the update after all!
Good detective work

Aug 09 2019 | 12:31 am EDT nacnuD17

Good detective work
Thanks.

Sadly none of the play store reviews say anything about what phone they have so it's hard to say whether its specific to the s6/edge/active. However since the only people who've said they have this issue and said what phone the have had all been s6 users so it doesn't seem far fetched that it may be.

Aug 09 2019 | 12:33 am EDT mustang7757

Thanks.

Sadly none of the play store reviews say anything about what phone they have so it's hard to say whether its specific to the s6/edge/active. However since the only people who've said they have this issue and said what phone the have had all been s6 users so it doesn't seem far fetched that it may be.
Well its something to go on , so we have to see in next update

Aug 09 2019 | 12:46 am EDT nacnuD17

Well its something to go on , so we have to see in next update
Yup. Im coming up on close to a day with the old version of the browser with no issues. I'm fairly confident now it's something in the newest update, be it a security flaw or what.

Aug 09 2019 | 12:49 am EDT mustang7757

Yup. Im coming up on close to a day with the old version of the browser with no issues. I'm fairly confident now it's something in the newest update, be it a security flaw or what.
Yeah its definitely possible.

Aug 09 2019 | 1:13 am EDT stefan22

So far everyone I have seen that has the same issue has had some version of the s6.

Around when did you start to notice these sites loading?

I'm still waiting for a site to pop up again after downgrading the browser but nothing yet (fingers crossed).
Two maybe three weeks ago.

Aug 09 2019 | 11:06 am EDT nacnuD17

Two maybe three weeks ago.
It was around 2 weeks for me as well. Most recent updateto samsung browser was july 22 so the timing makes sense too.

If you haven't yet I'd recommend downgrading the browser, over a day now with no pop ups for me, I'm convinced.

Aug 09 2019 | 12:21 pm EDT stefan22

It was around 2 weeks for me as well. Most recent updateto samsung browser was july 22 so the timing makes sense too.

If you haven't yet I'd recommend downgrading the browser, over a day now with no pop ups for me, I'm convinced.
Please keep us posted. Another thing I've noticed is that the pop-ups occur at the same time every day.

Aug 09 2019 | 1:36 pm EDT nacnuD17

Please keep us posted. Another thing I've noticed is that the pop-ups occur at the same time every day.
Is it 4pm and 7pm? A reddit user had noticed that is the time they get the pop ups.

Aug 09 2019 | 2:39 pm EDT androidy54

Thank you all for your input so far. I do experience the same issue on a Samsung Galaxy S6. Latest Samsung Internet update as of 22nd July 2019 installed and fits the time frame of random (above mentioned) app and tab opening.
I downgraded to system version now an will report here as well. Let's keep us posted.

Aug 10 2019 | 7:31 am EDT northpoleuser

Hi there. Same problem on Galaxy S5 after the last Samsung Internet update, it keeps opening 2-3 spam tabs everyday. I tried uninstalling everything suspicios, removed all cache, made an antivirus check... No luck.I was unable to use Samsung Internet's "Secret mode" as it tells me that my phone was rooted (it was, 3 years ago, but today it's completly official).
BTW, I also use S10+ with just the same browser version, and never had that issue on plus.
I checked whois of one of those sites and here's what i got:

Domain Name: THISDAYTHATAGE.COM
Registrar URL: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=Cj0u29Tl
Updated Date: 2019-07-30T21:34:13Z
Creation Date: 2019-06-28T19:29:34Z
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC

Doesn't that look strange? New version of Samsung Internet is released ~ 22 of July, and in 4 days someone makes those sites.

Aug 10 2019 | 10:39 am EDT LurkingLoris

I have also samsung galaxy s6 f version
About 1 , 1.5 weeks thisdaythatage.info site keep opening.
You even calculated the time. This site was just opened again and I realized it was around 4pm . What can we do about this ?
Is there any solution?

Aug 10 2019 | 1:07 pm EDT nacnuD17

Thank you all for your input so far. I do experience the same issue on a Samsung Galaxy S6. Latest Samsung Internet update as of 22nd July 2019 installed and fits the time frame of random (above mentioned) app and tab opening.
I downgraded to system version now an will report here as well. Let's keep us posted.
Two days for me now with no pop ups with the downgraded browser.

Aug 10 2019 | 1:20 pm EDT mustang7757

Two days for me now with no pop ups with the downgraded browser.
Ok looks like you nailed it

Aug 10 2019 | 9:39 pm EDT MaxOctane

What version of the browser were you able to downgrade to?

I have a Galaxy S10+ and this started happening to me a couple of weeks ago as well. I downgraded from version 9.4.00.45 to 9.0.01.85 and it's still happening. In fact, when it comes up now it asks me to update the browser instead of just coming up with the website. After a day or so, it upgraded itself back to version 9.4. Samsung is doing away with the headphone jack, maybe this will be my last Samsung phone.

I can't find much on the internet with other people having this issue - you mentioned a reddit thread, can you share that here? I'm struggling to get this fixed.

Aug 10 2019 | 9:55 pm EDT mustang7757

I have a Galaxy S10+ and this started happening to me a couple of weeks ago as well. I downgraded from version 9.4.00.45 to 9.0.01.85 and it's still happening. In fact, when it comes up now it asks me to update the browser instead of just coming up with the website. After a day or so, it upgraded itself back to version 9.4. Samsung is doing away with the headphone jack, maybe this will be my last Samsung phone.

I can't find much on the internet with other people having this issue - you mentioned a reddit thread, can you share that here? I'm struggling to get this fixed.
Might want to read over this thread and see if anything you can apply would work for you.
Welcome to the forums!

Aug 11 2019 | 9:55 am EDT nacnuD17

I have also samsung galaxy s6 f version
About 1 , 1.5 weeks thisdaythatage.info site keep opening.
You even calculated the time. This site was just opened again and I realized it was around 4pm . What can we do about this ?
Is there any solution?
As it stands right now the solution appears to be downgrading the samsung internet browser until samsung releases an update that fixes whatever security exploit is allowing this.

I was able to downgrade to 5.0.40-29, I suppose thats the factory version for an s6 whereas 9.0.01.85 is the factory version for an s10.

If you have auto app updates on the app will keep updating itself, I have it turned off.

I'm curious, what sites have been popping up for you? Until now it seemed like this issue was s6 specific and I'm just wonder if you are getting the same sites loading or something different.

The reddit thread is one I started and goes over the same info as here, nothing really new in it.

Aug 12 2019 | 6:45 pm EDT MaxOctane

I'm curious, what sites have been popping up for you? Until now it seemed like this issue was s6 specific and I'm just wonder if you are getting the same sites loading or something different.
I still can't get my phone to stop, I'm getting closer to factory wiping this POS.

I haven't been recording the websites that's been coming up, but they seem similar to yours. The last one that came up today that I have here right now is healthmaintains.xyz

Aug 12 2019 | 9:38 pm EDT nacnuD17

I still can't get my phone to stop, I'm getting closer to factory wiping this POS.

I haven't been recording the websites that's been coming up, but they seem similar to yours. The last one that came up today that I have here right now is healthmaintains.xyz

Do the websites have the exact layout and unsubscribe button at the bottom? If not it may be a different issue.

If the websites follow the layout then in that case maybe it isn't specific to the newest version and s6 but simply newish versions of the browser and all samsung devices. That makes it a bit harder to really pin down, but I would say it's still for sure due to some exploit within the browser.

Aug 13 2019 | 8:20 am EDT Basem Saleh

Using "Whois", I've searched the domain profile of each website that poped up (last one is truehollywoodmakeup website) and all of them have the same information

IP Address: 13.224.29.7 - 939 other sites hosted on this server
IP Location: United States - Washington - Seattle - Amazon Technologies Inc.
ASN: United States AS16509 AMAZON-02 - Amazon.com, Inc., US (registered May 04, 2000)

Go figure...

Aug 13 2019 | 2:08 pm EDT stepkatz

I will add I have a Galaxy Note 8. I've downgraded the browser as much as possible, uninstalled any "questionable" apps (though none have been added recently when this started) and tried several different malware and antivirus softwares to make sure it wasn't something I downloaded. None of the above has fixed these annoying website popups, same ones you guys have been getting. It's getting on my nerves. I wish I could just disable the entire browser all together, I don't even use it 😒

Aug 13 2019 | 2:38 pm EDT mustang7757

I will add I have a Galaxy Note 8. I've downgraded the browser as much as possible, uninstalled any "questionable" apps (though none have been added recently when this started) and tried several different malware and antivirus softwares to make sure it wasn't something I downloaded. None of the above has fixed these annoying website popups, same ones you guys have been getting. It's getting on my nerves. I wish I could just disable the entire browser all together, I don't even use it
Purchase Samsung package disabler and can turn off that browser
https://www.packagedisabler.com/

Aug 13 2019 | 4:43 pm EDT anon(10614692)

I use the Samsung Browser beta version in my S10 with no problems

Aug 13 2019 | 7:41 pm EDT MaxOctane

Do the websites have the exact layout and unsubscribe button at the bottom? If not it may be a different issue.

If the websites follow the layout then in that case maybe it isn't specific to the newest version and s6 but simply newish versions of the browser and all samsung devices. That makes it a bit harder to really pin down, but I would say it's still for sure due to some exploit within the browser.
Yes, all of the websites all have the same blog-style format. The latest one that came up for me was //onepknews. com/2019/08/[redacted the rest of the link]

I downloaded an app called Popup Ad Detector - which is supposed to detect which apps are popping up ads. I was hoping it would be able to tell me which app was causing it, but it could not - in fact, it didn't even detect that the Samsung browser was even opened.

One other thing I noticed, is it seemed that they would come up daily at 4 and 7PM, but now the last two days it's been closer to 11:30AM and 4PM or so. thanks

Aug 14 2019 | 7:49 am EDT PRS14

Galaxy S5 Mini user here. Same issue, about to try downgrading the browser so thanks to the user for discovering this!

Last site to load for me was trendfaqs but the descriptions and subjects of some shared in here seem familiar.

Issue been happening for me for 10-12 days roughly

Just wanted to post and tell you what handset I'm on as it looked like you were all set go with it being an S6 issue!

Aug 14 2019 | 10:33 am EDT nacnuD17

Yes, all of the websites all have the same blog-style format. The latest one that came up for me was //onepknews. com/2019/08/[redacted the rest of the link]

I downloaded an app called Popup Ad Detector - which is supposed to detect which apps are popping up ads. I was hoping it would be able to tell me which app was causing it, but it could not - in fact, it didn't even detect that the Samsung browser was even opened.

One other thing I noticed, is it seemed that they would come up daily at 4 and 7PM, but now the last two days it's been closer to 11:30AM and 4PM or so. thanks
Yeah I tried popup ad detector too but it didn't help at all either.

Maybe try using the beta version of the browser as another user had posted saying they had no issues with it. I might even try it and see how it works.

It seems like if you can't downgrade the browser far enough then maybe the beta version could be the solution?

Though I don't know yet if installing the beta version disables the regular or what because if it doesn't I would expect the ads to open anyway. I'll try it out and report back here.

Edit: I installed the beta browser but it does nothing as far as the standard browser is concered so I can't see it really helping the issue at all for those stuck with recent versions.

Aug 14 2019 | 5:06 pm EDT Eroll

I have this same issue. Did you figure it out??

Aug 14 2019 | 7:28 pm EDT Hungry Heifer

Same exact problem I'm having with my Samsung Galaxy S6. Incredibly annoying. Most seem to be bit.ly sites. T-Mobile is my provider. Ugh. Following... Closely!

Aug 14 2019 | 9:03 pm EDT nacnuD17

I have this same issue. Did you figure it out??
What phone do you have? You may be able to downgrade the browser to fix the issue.

Same exact problem I'm having with my Samsung Galaxy S6. Incredibly annoying. Most seem to be bit.ly sites. T-Mobile is my provider. Ugh. Following... Closely!
Try downgrading the browser through the play store, I have an s6 and this has 'fixed' the issue for me (more of a work around really). Just keep an eye out for it updating itself again.

Aug 14 2019 | 10:05 pm EDT MaxOctane

I downloaded the Samsung Internet Beta browser from the Google play store - I was hoping that it would replace the existing Samsung Internet app, but it did not. They are both there and I can open both of them independently.

HOWEVER, I did so this morning and today I've received no unwanted pop-ups. I haven't done anything else that could have made it stop. It's only been a day, I'll reply in another day or so to see if it's stopped altogether.

Aug 15 2019 | 4:42 am EDT jimmynzer

My S6 doing exactly what these people describe starting about 1-2 weeks sgo. samsung internet randomly starting often to a blank page bit.ly, sometimes there when i wake it and sometimes just starts in the middle of another activity. No apps recently installed.

Aug 15 2019 | 8:01 am EDT kt02x

My S6 is doing the same!! I was convinced I had a virus or something. I remember having to update the browser recently and i'm sure it was around then that the ads started. Just downgraded back to the basic version and have switched to using chrome, thank you for the suggestion! Fingers crossed it works because I am well and truly sick of the spam.

Aug 15 2019 | 8:24 am EDT Nico van der Merwe

New here. I have bee having the same issue for about a week now. Samsung Galaxy S6 G920F. Will try downgrading Samsung Internet.

Aug 15 2019 | 10:47 am EDT Beatrice F

Hi, I have an S6, same problem as everybody else. Tried some antivirus apps, cleared cache, with no use. I downgraded the browser to version 4.0.10-51 today. Hope this will do the trick

Aug 15 2019 | 10:57 am EDT worldofkevinc

Created an account just for this thread, I've been having all the same problems described. since July, I've had all these blogs open up around 11:30-6PM on my Samsung Internet Browser. This started happening after my system updated
I have a Samsung Galaxy S10

Tried antivirus, addons detector, downgrading browser, deleting apps, safe mode, etc

Aug 15 2019 | 2:27 pm EDT ScrappyDog

Hi All

Just wanted to register another "same here"

Samsung s6 and its been happening for about 3 weeks I think. I tried everything and absolutely nothing found by malware, AV, device scanner, etc.

Its very annoying and twice a day. Once while had the phone being my satnav, which was a bit of shock. Im going to try the downgrading to factory original to see if that cures it temporarily until there is another update.

So glad I found this thread, I thought it was me going mad!

Aug 15 2019 | 3:20 pm EDT kt02x

Well I tried to downgrade and it didn't work, so annoyed! I can't think what else to try; can't disable Samsung browser as the option is greyed out, does anyone know how to get around this?

Edit***

Just realised the galaxy app store or whatever it's called was set to auto update apps so browser had updated itself back again (oops!). Downgraded it again so hoping itll solve it. Also seen people on Twitter are having the same issue, particularly with the s6.

Aug 15 2019 | 5:19 pm EDT Jimmy Dildo

This same thing started happening on my S6 Active a few weeks ago. I have no apps (other than what came on the phone), 'cuz I have no google account. Not much different than all the spam phone calls I never answer. But closing the browser a bunch of times every day is getting old. No easy fix, eh?

Aug 15 2019 | 7:48 pm EDT MaxOctane

I mentioned that I'd downloaded the Samsung Internet Beta application and my unwanted pop-ups seemed to stop. I think typically what happens is that it opens when my phone is locked so when I go to unlock it, the Samsung Internet browser app is open.

Today I've had no unwanted pop-ups, however I just happened to be on my phone when a window came up asking me if I wanted to open the Samsung Internet browser or the Samsung Internet Beta browser. I suspect that by adding the second browser this window is dismissed when my phone is locked so nothing happens. So technically I still have the issue, it's just hidden when my phone is locked and it happens.

Obviously I'll take this improvement but I'd like to get to the bottom of this and get it fixed for good, if anybody figures this out let us here on the forum know!

Aug 16 2019 | 3:01 pm EDT SandorSonic

I have seen alot of people with the samsung galaxy s6 with this problem.

Just bought a galaxy s10e a week ago, and i have had the problem you all described since the very beginning.

The site/sites did even pop up during the setup of the phone.

The sites seem to have the exact same layout, and either tend to be about lifestyle and food or a combination of the both.

I am so glad that i found this thread. Will downgrade the browser now.

Does Samsung actually know about this security exploit? Have they made an announcement that they know about the problem or that they are doing something to stop the exploit?

Thanks again to the kind people in this thread!

Aug 16 2019 | 3:43 pm EDT nacnuD17

I have seen alot of people with the samsung galaxy s6 with this problem.

Just bought a galaxy s10e a week ago, and i have had the problem you all described since the very beginning.

The site/sites did even pop up during the setup of the phone.

The sites seem to have the exact same layout, and either tend to be about lifestyle and food or a combination of the both.

I am so glad that i found this thread. Will downgrade the browser now.

Does Samsung actually know about this security exploit? Have they made an announcement that they know about the problem or that they are doing something to stop the exploit?

Thanks again to the kind people in this thread!
Since you have an s10e I don't think downgrading will work for you as it didn't work for another s10 user. It seems newer samsung phones can't downgrade the browser far enough and will still be affected. If you still experience the issue (also make sure auto updates are turned off in the play store and galaxy store), try downloading the beta version of the browser. It seems it may interupt the pop up and prompt you to choose which version of browser to open it in at which point you can simply dismiss it. If your phone is not in use when the pop up tries to open (which is what causes it to be open when you unlock your phone) it will be dismissed automatically. This has all been reported by MaxOctane.

As far as if samsung knows I know one reddit user reported it to them on twitter but that's as far as I know.

Aug 16 2019 | 4:22 pm EDT Evan Pacini

I've got the same problem here with a galaxy S5. I've worked around the problem by downgrading the browser, how Samsung releases a bug fix soon...

Aug 16 2019 | 4:53 pm EDT SandorSonic

Idk what OS version i'm using, im still getting used to my phone but i seem to be able to delete the entire app "Samsung Internet". Since I wasnt using the app anyway, i just deleted it.

Aug 16 2019 | 5:29 pm EDT nacnuD17

Idk what OS version i'm using, im still getting used to my phone but i seem to be able to delete the entire app "Samsung Internet". Since I wasnt using the app anyway, i just deleted it.
Chances are the app is still there just at whatever version it came from the factory as. Samsung doesnt allow you to uninstall factory apps by default, however once you select disable it it becomes hidden from the list in the app list.

Aug 17 2019 | 9:07 am EDT Beatrice F

Well, it's been 2 days since I downgraded the browser on my S6 and the problem seemed to stop untill now

Aug 17 2019 | 9:43 am EDT MaxOctane

Well, it's been 2 days since I downgraded the browser on my S6 and the problem seemed to stop untill now
From what I've read and experienced, older phones can downgrade to an older version of the browser and the problem will go away. Those of us with newer phones, like the Galaxy S10 won't downgrade to a low enough version.

I installed the Samsung Internet Beta browser on my phone and the problem is masked, because when the pop-up happens, it asks you which browser you want to use. This dialog seems to be dismissed when the phone is locked. Most of the time this problem happens, my phone is locked, so the problem appears to be gone.

I haven't heard anything else as far as solutions go.

Aug 17 2019 | 4:55 pm EDT kt02x

Downgrading the browser didn't work for me (S6), still getting the pop ups. Seem to have had more than ever today, at least 4 or 5! Hope Samsung fix this soon

Aug 18 2019 | 12:49 am EDT berntd

Samsung Galaxy S4 user here. Same issue exactly.

Aug 18 2019 | 4:44 am EDT Mon27411

Hey guys, I have the same issue and mine's a Samsung tab s sm-t700 . I've uninstalled the updates via play store, let's see what happens. It's clear that it's not dependent on the device model, it's clearly the app

Aug 18 2019 | 6:25 am EDT SandorSonic

Apparently it is possible to uninstall the app entirely on the newer samsung phones. Not just disable, but uninstall.

Aug 19 2019 | 3:58 am EDT kt02x

On the Samsung community forums people are experiencing the same issue and suggesting the 'Peel Remote' app may be the issue, just disabled it and will report back. Also mention of the app titled 'Update apps' which could be causing it, however i don't have the option to disable it.

Aug 19 2019 | 11:57 am EDT Paul HF

Hi everyone.

I'm a Galaxy S6 user and I've been plagued with the same problem.

I think I might have stumbled across the answer. I was reading how to identify malware and a little throwaway remark in the middle of it said that some apps that aren't classed as malware can still cause pop-ups to display, and one of the apps mentioned was Peel Remote.

I have Peel Remote pre-installed but I have never even opened it. When I checked on it, it had used battery, memory and mobile data TODAY!

I have disabled the app and haven't had a pop-up occur all day.

Hope this is actually the solution (I'll be sure to update if not).

If others want to check the article for themselves it's:
https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-android-virus/

Here's hoping!!!

Aug 19 2019 | 9:50 pm EDT MaxOctane

I have Peel Remote pre-installed but I have never even opened it. When I checked on it, it had used battery, memory and mobile data TODAY!
Well I'll be! I've got the Peel Remote which I've never opened but it had battery usage as well. Although, on my S10, I was able to uninstall the app, not just disable it. Hopefully this fixes it. Thank you!

Aug 20 2019 | 1:33 am EDT nacnuD17

I was curious. I tried disabling peel remote (can't uninstall it on my S6) and updating samsung browser in the morning and so far all today no pop ups.

Seems like it could be the cause. A little disappointing for me as I actually used the app every now and then for my TV lol. Oh well I'll just have to find a new IR remote app.

Aug 20 2019 | 6:35 pm EDT Grave Dorenkal

Made an account to add on here. I have a Galaxy S4 that I've disabled app updates on 2 months ago now as it kept updating my apps to versions that with newer AndroidOS versions I can't get. I recently reinstalled Peel Remote to test a malfunctioning TV, and I started getting the Samsung Browser ads mentioned a week ago. I know Peel Remote was the last app I had installed since I stopped auto-updates. Its own Galaxy Store reviews are evidence enough for me to believe it could be the culprit.

Luckily, there are plenty IRremote apps out there and one of them is bound to not be malware.

Aug 21 2019 | 11:02 am EDT ccmedia365

Once I removed Peel app from my S10...the site redirects completely stopped. Thanks to all who mentioned Peel being the issue! Ahhhh. Feels good

Aug 21 2019 | 12:54 pm EDT B. Diddy

I'm glad a solution to this has been found. That Peel Remote app has been nothing but trouble, it seems.

Aug 22 2019 | 5:21 pm EDT armcro

same here, Galaxy S6, since 4 weeks or more. factory reset 2 weeks ago, then good for one week and now again the same. since the factory reset I installed just a couple of old apps.

Aug 23 2019 | 2:29 am EDT Paul HF

Just as an update, since disabling Peel Remote the problem has been solved. I've allowed Samsung Internet to update to the latest version and still no problems. All is good

Aug 23 2019 | 2:37 am EDT B. Diddy

Everyone here should be bombarding Samsung and Peel with feedback about this annoying issue!

Aug 23 2019 | 12:40 pm EDT Capsbeard

Just started following this thread this morning. Thanks to everyone involved.

Aug 23 2019 | 6:13 pm EDT tmp1982

I have an S9+ and this started happening recently. I hadn't noticed it for the time I've had the phone but in the last maybe week or 2, Samsung internet randomly started opening, as someone said, mainly bit ly ads but not all. I went into the Play Store, went to my list of installed apps, sorted by last used & except for the obvious Samsung internet, there isn't one that is causing it. I don't know what to do, as someone else that I'm close to hard resetting the POS however I hate doing that. If I had current mobile service & my phone was newer, I would see about getting Samsung to look into it and potentially fix or replace it but that's not the case. So has anybody found a solution yet? This is so freaking frustrating, it makes me want to throw my phone across the room however that wouldn't solve it. My luck, I'd retrieve it & find Samsung Internet open with an ad about cracked screen repair. 🙄

Aug 23 2019 | 6:24 pm EDT me just saying

I did not know about peel remote either. personally I don't use samsungs internet browser. I use firefox since I know adblocking and other addons work with it. IMO, samsung has too many apps and other services on their phones without any explanation of what they do. Usually I either uninstall them or disable them and hope for the best.

Aug 24 2019 | 1:03 am EDT Samsung_Lacks

I am the one that found the solution with Samsung's help. It was frustrating though as a rep named Max kept closing my issue. But after a week and three issues the solution is found. But when I suggested they create an issue with their programmer I was told:

"From what you wrote, we understand that you would like to offer feedback/receive more information in regard to the website where you encountered this particular issue.

Samsung Internet has a dedicated customer support, helping you with many details in order to have a pleasurable experience using its features and settings.

In regard to your situation, as it is strictly related to the specific website you have accessed, please be aware that you need to contact their customer support team."
Raffaello

Not sure how it could be clearer that this is a factory app issue with the "Peel Smart Remote ". They don't seem to get it.

So I decided to come back here in case you didn't find the solution. Glad to hear someone already found my answer that I wrote on Samsung's community page. As a "Quality Service Manager" I know what quality is and from Samsung this is the farthest thing from it.

They may never fix this issue.

Too bad the community has to spend so much time resolving an issue that millions of people are exeriencing across multiple platforms.
PS:I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S5 Marshmallow but that doesn't make a difference.

Aug 24 2019 | 3:02 am EDT timmot

My Note 9 started doing the same thing about a week ago. Auto updates on but no new app installs for over a month. Same sites open as what is posted here and pop up some time in the morning, 4pm-ish, and 8pm.

I will also try removing or disabling Peel Remote. If that doesn't work I will try the browser downgrade and post an update in a day or two.

Thank you for androidcentral for being around.

Aug 24 2019 | 10:47 am EDT SammyBuckets

Hey. Another user who made an account just for this thread. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S10+ 1TB. This popup / blog popup **** has been happening for about 1-2 weeks now. At first I thought i opened that browser and somehow did this in my pocket, but when it aggressively popping up on me I knew something was very wrong. I'm sure I don't have a virus of any kind on my phone, but somehow it just keeps forcing the Samsung internet browser to pop up on me.

As someone earlier in this thread suggested, I downloaded the beta version of the Samsung internet browser. This helps, but doesn't solve the issue. I am still seeing those popups ATTEMPT to pop up, but with both versions of the Samsung browser; regular and beta, Android then asks me which browser i would like to open the popup in. At that point i just press the back button and that tiny notification disappears. I recommend downloading the beta version of the Samsung browser, it makes it a lot easier to deal with until Samsung releases a fix for this.

- Samir

Aug 24 2019 | 11:08 am EDT Mooncatt

Hey. Another user who made an account just for this thread. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S10+ 1TB. This popup / blog popup **** has been happening for about 1-2 weeks now. At first I thought i opened that browser and somehow did this in my pocket, but when it aggressively popping up on me I knew something was very wrong. I'm sure I don't have a virus of any kind on my phone, but somehow it just keeps forcing the Samsung internet browser to pop up on me.

As someone earlier in this thread suggested, I downloaded the beta version of the Samsung internet browser. This helps, but doesn't solve the issue. I am still seeing those popups ATTEMPT to pop up, but with both versions of the Samsung browser; regular and beta, Android then asks me which browser i would like to open the popup in. At that point i just press the back button and that tiny notification disappears. I recommend downloading the beta version of the Samsung browser, it makes it a lot easier to deal with until Samsung releases a fix for this.

- Samir
Did you look to see if you have the Peel remote app and disable it as others have done? If you don't have that app, then it's another app causing this problem and there's nothing Samsung can do to fix it as it's not being caused by them. You'll need to uninstall apps one by one to find the culprit.