Bixby confused with timezones

joelwholmes

Aug 9, 2019
Visit site
If I ask Bixby what is happening in my day, she responds with the events in my calendar, however picks up the timezone an event was created in, not the timezone that I am currently in. So for example she will say a meeting that is 10:30am in my New Zealand timezone is at 8:30am, as it was created by a colleague in their Sydney timezone. Has anyone else encountered this and have a fix?

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If I ask Bixby what is happening in my day, she responds with the events in my calendar, however picks up the timezone and event was created in, not the timezone that I am currently in. So for example she will say a meeting that is 10:30am in my New Zealand timezone is at 8:30am, as it was created by a colleague in their Sydney timezone. Has anyone else encountered this and have a fix?
Hi thanks for registering!
Which Samsung device you see this issue?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can have it either way but not both ways. If an online meeting is set for 8:30am Sydney time, it's set for 10:30am New Zealand time, so Bixby can either be correct with that or ... if you set a meeting for 8:30 AM because you'll be in Sidney that day and the meeting is set for 8:30 AM, it will be st for 8:30 AM as seen by your phone in Sidney - when you're there and it's 10:30 in new Zealand.

There's not enough "smart" in "smartphone" to figure out which one you want. (Maybe we need a "figure timezone difference" checkbox in calendar apps, so you can tell it whether the appointment is for 8:30 AM on the phone or 8:30 at the place it's being set, but there wouldn't be very many customers asking for that, and they'd rather spend the time and effort on something that appeals to most customers, like dark mode or a new exciting background color for the calendar.)

Last edited:

joelwholmes

Aug 9, 2019
Visit site
Thank you - it seems Bixby does not refer to my Android calendar to determine the meeting times, but does refer to the Timezone the meeting was created in, within the appointment. For example, the meeting is at 10:30am in my calendar, but in the appointment description it states that it was created for 8:30am Sydney time. It seems to be a fundamental flaw to me, meaning any appointments created by someone else in a different time zone, that I am subsequently invited to, will show up at the wrong time when I ask Bixby what my schedule is for the day. Does that make sense?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It seems to be a fundamental flaw to me, meaning any appointments created by someone else in a different time zone, that I am subsequently invited to, will show up at the wrong time when I ask Bixby what my schedule is for the day. Does that make sense?
If you look at it that way.

But if you're in Sidney (which means on Sidney timezone) and someone invites you to a 8:30 meeting, when you go back to NZ, should the time of the meeting change to 10:30? Or did you mentally convert it and enter it as "your time when you're at home"? Or, if you're home and someone tells you to meet him at 8:30 when you're in Sidney, do you enter it for 10:30, knowing that the phone will convert it to 10:30 when you're in Oz? Or ...

The phone can't keep track of all the possibilities, so it treats a time as whatever it's set to, and if you're in a different timezone you have to know the conversion and apply it. (I do the same thing on my calendar when I set a doctor's appointment. I had to be at the cardiologist at 2:15 yesterday, so I set the appointment for 1:45, to allow for the travel time. (And when I was working with someone in Hong Kong [and I live on the east coast of the US], I had to mentally convert times, so I wouldn't be waking him up at 3 in the morning. Calling him a little before I went to sleep meant that he was near the beginning of his workday.) We just have to be smarter than out phones.

joelwholmes

Aug 9, 2019
Visit site
No you're missing the point. In the calendar that Bixby refers to, my meeting is at 10:30am - it was set by my colleague for 8:30am Sydney time, and I was added as a guest on the meeting and of course then it lands as 10:30am New Zealand time in my calendar, which is correct. I am still in the New Zealand Timezone when I ask Bixby what my schedule is for the day, and she tells me that meeting is at 8:30am, which is incorrect, it is at 10:30am. So somehow she is taking the Timezone the meeting is created in (in this case Sydney) and giving me that time in my schedule. So if I was to listen to her, I would dial into that meeting 2 hours early.