I just noticed that the gallery on my Samsung phone is completely empty. I haven't (to my knowledge anyway) deleted any of these photos and videos, so I'm pretty frustrated. It's especially irritating that some of these photos weren't backed up to Google drive, as I've been camping without Wi-Fi for the past week. Does anyone know how this happened, and how I can recover the lost photos?
    08-10-2019 03:41 PM
    Hi, welcome to AC forums, me or other members would be happy to assist you but if we need to ask additional questions you'll need to register as a member to respond . I'll provide a link to register so you can reply and communicate with us .https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    I just noticed that the gallery on my Samsung phone is completely empty. I haven't (to my knowledge anyway) deleted any of these photos and videos, so I'm pretty frustrated. It's especially irritating that some of these photos weren't backed up to Google drive, as I've been camping without Wi-Fi for the past week. Does anyone know how this happened, and how I can recover the lost photos?
    08-10-2019 03:43 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which Samsung phone? Were the photos saved to Internal Storage or an SD card? Use My Files or any other file manager app to explore the phone's directories (and not the "Photo" category), and look directly in the /DCIM/Camera directory. Do you see any photo files there? If you have an SD card, look to see if there's a directory there of the same name.
    08-10-2019 11:34 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which Samsung phone? Were the photos saved to Internal Storage or an SD card? Use My Files or any other file manager app to explore the phone's directories (and not the "Photo" category), and look directly in the /DCIM/Camera directory. Do you see any photo files there? If you have an SD card, look to see if there's a directory there of the same name.
    Hi, OP here. The photos were saved to internal storage, and I've checked in the DCIM folder in file manager and there's nothing there. My phone's a Samsung Galaxy S7. Since posting, I've used a photo recovery app which had restored the photos, but not any of my videos, and I'm still interested in finding out why it happened.
    08-11-2019 04:56 AM
    If you would post which app you used to find the photos. To date I haven't heard of one that actually works and it might help others to know which one worked for you. Meanwhile with the lost files being on internal memory I'm not sure if a PC program like Recuvva would work to help you with your missing videos. It can look for specific file types or types of files so it is at least worth a try. You'll have to connect to the PC with a USB, unlock the phone and have it set to data transfer or mass storage device.

As for what happened that would be a bit difficult for us to diagnose, but maybe we can help you help yourself, retracing anything that may have happened or that you did.

You were camping and not in an area where you would get signal, at all, at times, only over WiFi or something else?

Did you use the phone at all during your trip, play games, take photos or videos, use it for an alarm clock or anything else that wouldn't require network connectivity?

if you weren't using the phone where was it stored, in a possibly hot car, on your person, in a tent?

Did you notice anything else that was odd or out of place about the device, other than the gallery being empty, games that weren't working correctly, apps that fail to open or open but have issues? It would be extremely odd to have something happen to the phone that only affected your gallery. If there was other data loss that would lead us away from the photos being intentionally deleted.

On that note, did you allow a child to play with or use the phone thinking, there's no signal out here, what harm could they do?

All just guesses...
    Arthur377 likes this.
    08-11-2019 06:09 AM
    If you would post which app you used to find the photos. To date I haven't heard of one that actually works and it might help others to know which one worked for you. Meanwhile with the lost files being on internal memory I'm not sure if a PC program like Recuvva would work to help you with your missing videos. It can look for specific file types or types of files so it is at least worth a try. You'll have to connect to the PC with a USB, unlock the phone and have it set to data transfer or mass storage device.

As for what happened that would be a bit difficult for us to diagnose, but maybe we can help you help yourself, retracing anything that may have happened or that you did.

You were camping and not in an area where you would get signal, at all, at times, only over WiFi or something else?

Did you use the phone at all during your trip, play games, take photos or videos, use it for an alarm clock or anything else that wouldn't require network connectivity?

if you weren't using the phone where was it stored, in a possibly hot car, on your person, in a tent?

Did you notice anything else that was odd or out of place about the device, other than the gallery being empty, games that weren't working correctly, apps that fail to open or open but have issues? It would be extremely odd to have something happen to the phone that only affected your gallery. If there was other data loss that would lead us away from the photos being intentionally deleted.

On that note, did you allow a child to play with or use the phone thinking, there's no signal out here, what harm could they do?

All just guesses...
    I used diskdigger, which restored pictures but in lower quality, and also 'recovered' images of album covers which I'm pretty sure come from Spotify. I stored my phone in my tent when camping, and regularly switched it between max power saving mode and normal mode (I couldn't access the torch in power saving mode, but I otherwise wanted to preserve charge), and the gallery was inaccessible in max power saving mode. The only other weird things I noticed about my phone was that its bluetooth connection kept failing, but to be fair this feels to me like a separate issue. No noticeable data loss. I guess it looks likely that they were deleted intentionally - I thought I'd kept my phone away from small children but perhaps not well enough. Thanks for the tip about recuvva, I'll give that a try.
    08-11-2019 06:39 AM
    I used diskdigger, which restored pictures but in lower quality, and also 'recovered' images of album covers which I'm pretty sure come from Spotify. I stored my phone in my tent when camping, and regularly switched it between max power saving mode and normal mode (I couldn't access the torch in power saving mode, but I otherwise wanted to preserve charge), and the gallery was inaccessible in max power saving mode. The only other weird things I noticed about my phone was that its bluetooth connection kept failing, but to be fair this feels to me like a separate issue. No noticeable data loss. I guess it looks likely that they were deleted intentionally - I thought I'd kept my phone away from small children but perhaps not well enough. Thanks for the tip about recuvva, I'll give that a try.
    Thanks for registering!
    I do agree with Vid junky possible kids playing with the phone.
    Arthur377 likes this.
    08-11-2019 10:55 PM
    Thanks for posting back. The tip on that app may likely help someone else. When my kids were young I was surprised at what they could get into and find on my phone. Things that would take me minutes to access they found with ease. Lol. Meanwhile, sorry about your loss but at least you were able to make some recoveries.

On a tip note if you're not using a backup service Google offers a nice sized backup just for having an account as does Samsung. Some aren't as lucky as you were and never opt to backup anything so with this close call backing up memories should definitely be in your list.

Best of luck.
    Arthur377 likes this.
    08-12-2019 12:14 AM