Anyone know how to stop gmail from force closing?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have had this problem on two different phones now. I had an alcatel fierce 4 (I deleted all my data off that phone when I got a new one) and everything was fine, but then started force closing constantly. I got a LG Aristo 2 which is the one I've been using now and gmail is still force closing for no reason. I've restarted my phone, disabled and reinstalled the app, uninstalled updates, cleared apps and data, I also went into 'safe mode' and it force closed there as well. I created a temporary fake account to see if something was wrong and it still force closed. I have plenty of space on my phone, but nothing works. Anyone have any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Make sure Chrome is up to date. If it already is and the problem persists, then try the opposite and uninstall all updates to Chrome. The reason I suggest this is that Chrome also takes care of the Android System Webview functionality in Nougat and above, and sometimes updates to Chrome can cause glitches in certain devices.

Androidgirl94

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
Make sure Chrome is up to date. If it already is and the problem persists, then try the opposite and uninstall all updates to Chrome. The reason I suggest this is that Chrome also takes care of the Android System Webview functionality in Nougat and above, and sometimes updates to Chrome can cause glitches in certain devices.

I've done this too because I had an issue with Chrome previously that I fixed, but unfortunately it didn't help Gmail.

Androidgirl94

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site

I went ahead and did this to see if maybe the newest update would have an effect, but even after uninstalling the updates. Gmail still forced closed.

Androidgirl94

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
Are you restricting any permission for the app?

No. I'm not. Everything is turned on. Storage was turned off, but I turned it on. I went back to gmail to see if that was the problem, but it still force closed with the message. "Gmail has stopped." This has been the message that pops up every time it force closes. I forgot to mention that in my original post.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No. I'm not. Everything is turned on. Storage was turned off, but I turned it on. I went back to gmail to see if that was the problem, but it still force closed with the message. "Gmail has stopped." This has been the message that pops up every time it force closes. I forgot to mention that in my original post.
Then only thing I can recommend is factory reset see what happens . Just make sure you back up your stuff.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have another Google account you can try setting the phone up with? Just wondering if there's something stuck in your primary Gmail account that's causing it to glitch (although I've never heard of this happening before).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, not sure what else to try. It may be that the firmware has become corrupt somehow. I'm not sure how easy it is to reinstall the firmware on that phone.