I have a Google Pixel 2 XL phone, I use T-mobile, can I switch online myself?
    I went to the T-Mobile store and they told me that this phone was only unlocked for google's network, was that right?
    08-15-2019 01:32 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Pixel phones are all carrier-unlocked. If you insert a T-Mobile SIM, it'll connect immediately to the T-Mobile network.

Google doesn't have its own network per se. Google Fi uses a combination of T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular, and wi-fi.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    08-15-2019 01:38 PM
    I've been using the 2 first on T-Mobile for a couple of months, then on one of their MVNOs-Mint (so the phone still has to work on TMobile), because Mint is a lot cheaper if you don't use much data, which I don't. Not a problem. (Remember, most salesdroids, even most managers, in independent TMobile stores [which most of them are] have no technical training at all. [I was offered a job in my local store, by the manager, but when I told her that I had owned a few stores in the past (I'm very retired), she said "then I guess you wouldn't be interested in a commission job". Smart lady. They usually have 2 sales people per customer in the store, so you eke out enough to eat.])

As B,Diddy said, Pixels aren't SIM-locked. (The Verizon models were bootloader-locked, but that's about it. So no TWRP, no rooting, no flashing your own update the day it's released. But the non-Verizon models? I had to send a debug dump to Google for a little problem, and took it while rooting was enabled and the bootloader was, of course, unlocked. Their engineer just asked me if I could turn root off and do another one. [Which I understand. They don't want to wade through reams of stuff being done by Magisk to figure out if the problem was their firmware or Magisk.] But they don't care that the bootloader was unlocked and the phone was rooted [so they know I also have TWRP installed].)

It's an Android phone - use it on any US carrier, in any way you like. (The European model has a few different 4G bands.)
    08-15-2019 04:28 PM
    I have a Google Pixel 2 XL phone, I use T-mobile, can I switch online myself?
    I went to the T-Mobile store and they told me that this phone was only using google network, is that right?
    08-15-2019 04:51 PM
    Thanks for registering -- see the above responses.
    08-15-2019 05:22 PM