Can someone explain how i can tell if the s10+ will work on verzion

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

so heres the deal I want to but an unlocked s10+ and i am not paying retail if i can help if the phone company is still full price when the phone it sell in some places is as low as 500 dollars. now I was told that Verizon is only GSM now and they stopped supporting cdma. But with that they should be able to support any GSM S10 plus.

but my friends at bnh one of the most trusted places for any thing tech told me the only one that works on Verizon truly is a model that ends with a U.

The phone company is telling me thats a lie.

please can someone just help me find one that works so i can order it and just have my new phone please.

THE ONLY THING IS IT CANT BE REPAIRED

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
why would that not apply to all posts then?

Posts that meet a certain criteria are automatically put in a queue for manual review by a moderator. This is because we have a problem with spammers.

In any event your post has been approved. Sorry for the troubles.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I am not worryed about that I am worryed abouit deleted and more.

but no its not top secret but all i can say is just things that need to be protected to keep a few friends safe lives on this phone.
Fear no danger
No one will recover the data after a factory reset except the IMF team and Ethan Hunt has gone rogue.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're worried about your data, install iShredder and run it. It writes random data all over any deleted or uninstalled data. Over and over. It costs $5, but it's well worth the money.

As far as the model number, the S10+ for the US is SM-G975U. That's not the one for Verizon, it's the one for AT&T, Sprint, TMobile, US Cellular or Verizon. (Everyone else is an MVNO - a network operator, not a carrier. MVNOs use one [or more] of the 5 carriers.) The SM-G975W is for Canada, and the SM-G975F or SM-G975F/DS (single SIM or dual-SIM) is for the rest of the world. But only the U will work all over the US. The W and F lack some bands needed here.

As for CDMA, as of January 1, 2020, you can no longer bring a CDMA-only-phone to Verizon, but until at least January 1, 2021, CDMA phones already on Verizon will continue to be supported. The S10+, having both radios, GSM and CDMA, will work on Verizon, now and into the foreseeable future. (The only thing you won't get is 5G, which is really for the Internet of things [refrigerators, lights, etc.], so you're not missing much. Sure, 5G can go a lot faster than 4G, but the S10+ does 4G at over 40mbps, but the internet itself is running about a maximum of about 5mbps these days [unless the server you're downloading from is very close], so you'll be getting about 5mbps on 4G or 5G for a while yet.)

As for posts not being approved, I'm a moderator, and I've had some of my posts held for approval (even though I can approve the post myself - but I usually find out about it when some other mod - or the site - notifies me that the post was approved). Sometimes software does things (like holds a post for approval) that would take months to chase down and it's just not worth it.

Last edited:

Kawar

Aug 15, 2019
Visit site
SM-G975U

so your saying as long as i find a U version I will be fine. Now one question if I was to go outside of the US would it work on the GSM only networks for example. Just something I thought about when reading your message?

also can you help me track down SM-G975U models please most listings online never have any with a U that i can see. your help would be greatly thankful.

Kawar

Aug 15, 2019
Visit site
just worth noteing I am not worryed about the information about me on the phone but I have some people I care very much about I cant risk on any level any part of there information getting in the wild.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
SM-G975U

so your saying as long as i find a U version I will be fine. Now one question if I was to go outside of the US would it work on the GSM only networks for example. Just something I thought about when reading your message?

also can you help me track down SM-G975U models please most listings online never have any with a U that i can see. your help would be greatly thankful.
You will be fine with unlocked.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Whether it will work outside the US depends on where. If they're using Band 32, no, otherwise, the US version has some bands that the global version doesn't.

2. If you use the military version of iShredder, not even the government could recover the shredded data - it's just not there to recover. It's as "recoverable" as if you run the phone over with a steamroller, smash the bits remaining with a 50 pound sledge hammer, then roast them for an hour at 8,000°C. Not even Superman (if he existed) could recover any data from that. System data? Yes. All your system apps are still there. But deleted files, uninstalled apps, cleared cache, deleted data? All turned into random junk. (I've played with data for a few decades. Just writing random to a hard drive 100 times makes the data unrecoverable to anyone except, maybe, an expensive lab. [Magnetic media may still retain a few magnetized molecules. but electronic storage? One random write is enough, there's nothing left behind. Doing it 10 times just randomizes it more. Doing a military wipe? That "unrandomizes" random bits - in a random manner. Without telepathy, recovering a single useful bit from that is as possible as determining your 10th descendant's name. The data just isn't there, so there's nothing to recover.) Even just running dd from a terminal app, inputting from the pseudo-device /dev/urandom, will give you unrecoverable storage, but you only want to wipe unused space, and that';s what iShredder does. (If the phone won't be checked to see if there's a ROM in it, or if you can flash a ROM, just flash a stock ROM, run iShredder, and uninstall iShredder. All that's "recoverable" is that you had iShredder installed. Once anyone sees that, they won't waste time trying to "undelete" anything - they'll know that there's nothing to undelete. Risk your family? Why do you think the president of the US is issued a government phone, then it's taken away when he leaves office? It's shredded, that's all. Then it can be used by any other government employee. (It's going to be 4 years old, so you don't want the next president to use it.) But if there were government secrets on it, even the CIA is comfortable knowing that there's nothing left on the phone.

Kawar

Aug 15, 2019
Visit site
1. Whether it will work outside the US depends on where. If they're using Band 32, no, otherwise, the US version has some bands that the global version doesn't.

2. If you use the military version of iShredder, not even the government could recover the shredded data - it's just not there to recover. It's as "recoverable" as if you run the phone over with a steamroller, smash the bits remaining with a 50 pound sledge hammer, then roast them for an hour at 8,000°C. Not even Superman (if he existed) could recover any data from that. System data? Yes. All your system apps are still there. But deleted files, uninstalled apps, cleared cache, deleted data? All turned into random junk. (I've played with data for a few decades. Just writing random to a hard drive 100 times makes the data unrecoverable to anyone except, maybe, an expensive lab. [Magnetic media may still retain a few magnetized molecules. but electronic storage? One random write is enough, there's nothing left behind. Doing it 10 times just randomizes it more. Doing a military wipe? That "unrandomizes" random bits - in a random manner. Without telepathy, recovering a single useful bit from that is as possible as determining your 10th descendant's name. The data just isn't there, so there's nothing to recover.) Even just running dd from a terminal app, inputting from the pseudo-device /dev/urandom, will give you unrecoverable storage, but you only want to wipe unused space, and that';s what iShredder does. (If the phone won't be checked to see if there's a ROM in it, or if you can flash a ROM, just flash a stock ROM, run iShredder, and uninstall iShredder. All that's "recoverable" is that you had iShredder installed. Once anyone sees that, they won't waste time trying to "undelete" anything - they'll know that there's nothing to undelete. Risk your family? Why do you think the president of the US is issued a government phone, then it's taken away when he leaves office? It's shredded, that's all. Then it can be used by any other government employee. (It's going to be 4 years old, so you don't want the next president to use it.) But if there were government secrets on it, even the CIA is comfortable knowing that there's nothing left on the phone.
well that sure is a lot to think about. I get it now and i understand.

one question thought wink wink can you get the government version of Ishredder some how? with out working for the government

Kawar

Aug 15, 2019
Visit site
I hope i can find one my daily driver only has 1.9GB of on space. I got an sd card so i am really getting a lot out of this phone but soon with all the new updates it will be gone. I hope sales start soon 128GB on will last me like 10 years if it stayed supported lol.