What drains more battery, hotspot or screen time?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I know, it probably sounds like a dumb question, on many levels, but I've always struggled with battery life on my phones. I currently have a Note 9 and generally get 5 to 6 hours of screen on time, it being a mix of YouTube, chrome, email, texts, photos and video. My bluetooth is always on because of my fitness band, location is high accuracy, AOD is always on, 30-50% brightness and screen resolution is maxed out...because what's the point of having great specs if you don't use them, right? Anyway, taking all these into account, I unplug it 6AM and generally plug in at around 11PM with single digits left on my battery.

Anyway, with all that being said, I'm curious as to whether I can get more utility and at the same time save battery life from my main phone by allocating some tasks like YouTube and web browsing to a secondary phone.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm just wondering what sucks up more juice, having my daily driver screen off and using hotspot with a secondary phone for things like web browsing and YouTube, or just sticking with a single phone to do everything. Would it be worth it, battery-wise, to delegate some tasks to another phone.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
I'm just wondering what sucks up more juice, having my daily driver screen off and using hotspot with a secondary phone for things like web browsing and YouTube, or just sticking with a single phone to do everything. Would it be worth it, battery-wise, to delegate some tasks to another phone.

Why not try both ways and see what happens?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well if no one has an answer, then I guess that's what I have to do. I just figured I'd try the forums first, save myself days of testing and get right to the answer.
Actually there is no simple answer because there are other variables within screen time or hotspot. It depends on what you're doing with screen time or the hotspot.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
True. Here are the two scenarios I'm thinking:

Scenario 1:
Note 9 screen off, mobile hotspot on. Secondary phone on, browsing web, YouTube, emails, music. At the end of the day, assuming I haven't used the Note 9's screen for those purposes, how much battery can I/will I save versus...

Scenario 2:
Not using a secondary phone and simply using the Note 9 as intended.

Here are some screen shots of my battery last night. Just wondering if there's a way to essentially stretch my available screen on time (and justify getting a secondary phone ;P)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190817-213342_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190817-213342_Settings.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20190817-213345_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190817-213345_Settings.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20190817-213359_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20190817-213359_Device care.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20190817-213406_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20190817-213406_Device care.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20190817-213413_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20190817-213413_Device care.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 2

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
True. Here are the two scenarios I'm thinking:

Scenario 1:
Note 9 screen off, mobile hotspot on. Secondary phone on, browsing web, YouTube, emails, music. At the end of the day, assuming I haven't used the Note 9's screen for those purposes, how much battery can I/will I save versus...

Scenario 2:
Not using a secondary phone and simply using the Note 9 as intended.

Here are some screen shots of my battery last night. Just wondering if there's a way to essentially stretch my available screen on time (and justify getting a secondary phone ;P)
I think I know someone can help you out more @Rukbat see what he can suggest

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, mustang, but just experienced.

The hotspot uses battery, so add that to the total usage. But ... using 2 phones and splitting the tasks between them is like having a small secondary battery running on a single phone - you get a bit more time between charges, but not much.

Personally, I think it's easier to carry a pocket-sized 10,000mAh power pack, and use one phone. I have one on my belt and one right in front of me on the desk that I could grab if I'm going to be out for a while, but I've never done that. I also have a power pack on the desk, and I always grab that if I'm going to be out for a while. (Besides, the power pack [[Review] - Coocheer® 7500mAh Rugged Water Resistant Power Bank (not available any longer, unfortunately)] is almost break-proof. I wouldn't drive a tank over it, but calling it ruggedized is an insult. If something happens to it while it's in my pocket, I've lost that leg. It would take that much to damage the power pack. And it fits into my pocket. Drop that second phone and ... who knows?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36