How can I find unsaved calls?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I recorded a phone call from last month but forgot to save. it's not in my inbox anymore (latest visible date is August 1st).

Where can I find this old recorded call?

joellepw1

Aug 20, 2019
Visit site
I signed up.

How is there no way to find it? I didn't actively deleted it... it's just unsaved. isn't there an app where i can restore it? Thank you very much for your help...

I have a Samsung S7, the recording app is "call recorder".
the unsaved but recorded calls are in a folder with the name "inbox".

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It will probably depend on how the app deals with calls you didn't save, but my guess is that it might hold the call in its app cache temporarily, but at some point that data gets cleared out. If you can't access the call recording any more from within the app, it's most likely gone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
How is there no way to find it? I didn't actively deleted it...
Because there was nothing to delete. The call gets saved to storage as it's progressing, but only the name and starting point are saved in the directory until you save the complete call. (There's no way to know how long it's going to be or what clusters it's going to end up using until it's done.) So if you saved it to an SD card, you might be able to recover most of it - if you don't mind waiting a week and tying up a laptop or desktop. See PhotoRec. But if it was "saved" to internal storage there's not much you can do. (Unless you follow the instructions for recovery from an iPhone at that site, and your phone is already rooted. Rooting it will almost definitely wipe the "recording" before you can recover it.)

it's just unsaved.
Which means that it's not a file, it's in RAM, with parts maybe stored temporarily to storage until you save it.

isn't there an app where i can restore it?
No. Every time you run another app it overwrites what Call Recorder put into RAM. Every time you restart the phone or turn it off, RAM is wiped, There's nothing there to "recover". (What you do have, though, is some storage that you can't recover, because it was marked as being used - but since the directory entry was never finished, you can't delete it. And the only ways to recover that space are to do a factory reset or to reflash the ROM. Leave well enough alone and next time, make sure that you save the recording.)

By the way, in the future, when you replace the phone, you won't be able to record calls - that's been removed from Android as of 9.0.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89