Hi,
    I have a Micro SD card that I rescued from a failed tablet running Android 5.
    I have been able to reformat it (apparently successfully) on a variety of platforms (Win 10, Ubuntu, Android 6) but two folders always reappear - android and LOST.DIR
    Is there any way of getting rid of them, please?
    Mike.
    08-20-2019 11:36 AM
    Those 2 folders will appear if you are putting the card back in an Android device. Is that when you are seeing them?
    08-20-2019 11:45 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Those are normal directories that the Android system creates on the card. /Android is used to save various app data, and I believe LOST.DIR is where "broken" files get stored temporarily (e.g., if the camera app glitched or was interrupted when trying to save a photo or video).
    ManiacJoe likes this.
    08-20-2019 11:46 AM
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for your replies.
    Firstly an apology, it isn't a USB card, I was slightly distracted when I wrote the heading.
    These files reappear whatever device I use, not just on the Android tablet.
    However, the tablet does tell me that tne card can only be used to store pictures and is not usable as extended internal memory. Maybe that is because the files were created by a different version of Android?
    So I am now left with an SD card with very limited usefulness.
    I don't think it is unreasonable to want to return it to the state in which it was originally supplied and I am looking for advice as to how to achieve that.
    Best regards,
    Mike.
    08-21-2019 11:47 AM
    If you format on a PC, they will disappear. Place in an Android device and they will reappear and remain in situ. In relation to the card not being suitable for adoptable storage is it's likely to be too slow. Can't be more specific as you haven't told us what device or card you have.
    I would advise not to go down this route as it is not a cure for low internal memory. Also cards have a limited life and used this way accelerates their demise. If your card then fails your data is gone.
    08-21-2019 11:57 AM
    Hi Galactic Zoo,
    Thanks for your reply.
    When I connect the card to the PC, it says errors were found and I should scan and fix it.
    When I do that it says - Windows successfully scanned the drive. No errors were found.
    When I format it with Windows, I get - Windows was unable to complete the format.
    But when I format it with EaseUS it says the format was successful.
    But the files still appear in Windows. Also the Volume Label (the name of the old tablet) cannot be changed or deleted.

regards, Mike.
    08-21-2019 03:46 PM
    I have to admit, I'm stumped. Just a quick suggestion. I have had results recovering dead cards with HP USB Formatter, worth a go?
    08-21-2019 04:30 PM
    I'm guessing the card is faulty. SD cards are so cheap these days that I wouldn't bother doing any further investigation and just get a replacement card.
    08-21-2019 06:36 PM