Why is my screen going black when i make a phone call?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a UNIMAX 683C phone with Assurance Wireless. It's a Obama phone and a new replacement to my old broken screen phone. I disabled 5 apps - 1weather, instant news, Facebook lite, Messanger, and Online Plus. I suspect one of these or their updates I uninstalled before I disabled them is responsible. But.....??? My call screen is going black once I've dialed a number and I pushed the green send call button. At that point the screen goes out and I am unable to do pretty much anything. To reboot my phone I have to peel off the back cover unplug and replug in my battery. Then all appears to back to normal. Until ....
Any ideas? All help is much appreciated and thanks in advance. MeBeekt

MeBeekt

Aug 20, 2019
Visit site
So I have some confusion about where or how to communicate with you or whomever to get thru this. I unfortunately have a very important phone call to make and am unable. How do I get to safe mode on an Android phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a screen protector on? If so, it might be blocking the proximity sensor. Normally, when you're on a call, the proximity sensor will cause the screen to go blank if it detects anything near it. This is so that your face doesn't accidentally press any onscreen buttons while on a call. If you have a screen protector on and it's blocking the proximity sensor (which is usually right next to the front-facing camera), then take it off and see if the problem persists.

MeBeekt

Aug 20, 2019
Visit site
All I can is WOW. B DITTY! THAT WAS IT. Who knew? Apparently you. Learn something new every day.
Thank you AND Mustang5575 very very much. Also Mustang I did try everything you suggested and truly appreciate your help. And learned from you about the safe mode on Android's. You guys are the best. Again thanks so much. More questions I will have so catch you guys on the flip flop.