08-21-2019 10:45 PM
33 12
tools Reply
    Samsung note 9. I got this phone in part because of the top rated battery life, and at first it was. I could go a day and a half before getting low.

Now, the battery life drops like a rock tossed over a cliff. I did admittedly use the phone for a period of about a couple months streaming a LOT of videos, bcuz i had no other device to watch on. When i watched a lot of videos, the battery drained quickly, as expected. But now, the phone can be sitting in my pocket all day with the occasional Facebook or email check, texting, maybe a few youtube vids here and there, battery still drops like a rock. It lasts maybe half a day compared to the day and a half when it was new. Phone has no physical damage, no major drops or shattering (I have a heavy duty case) no water damage, hasn't been wet.

Things I've tried:
    All the online advice.
    Screen brightness is set below 25%.

Medium power save mode on. Battery optimized.

Every battery sucking app restricted to run in background, set to put to sleep when not in use.

I've gone thru apps and deleted anything suspicious or unnecessary.

Ran multiple virus scans with multiple different AV apps.

Restarted phone.

Downloaded any updates i can find.

Turned dark theme on wherever i can.

Probably a few more things i can't remember.

Things I have not tried:

Factory rest (which i absolutely dread and will only try as an absolute last resort)

Disabling mobile data. The phone is on wifi 95% of the time unless i leave to go somewhere, which generally doesn't take more than an hour or two. It was never a factor when the phone was brand new but suppose i could try airplane mode.

I've tried everything i can find on forums or google searches, short of factory reset. Could the battery life have been degraded this much from a couple months of running videos hard? The phone is not even a year old, probably 9 months, the battery life is cut in half and that's WITH all the steps I have taken above.

Is there something I'm missing? Anything else I can try not listed above? Could charging with the case on cause the battery life to take that much of a hit that quickly? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    08-20-2019 09:34 PM
    Hi, welcome to Android Forums

I'd like to recommend creating a account so me or other members can assist you, as guest have limitations in replying here and if we need further Information to communicate with you.

I'll provide a link to register, please come back to your post so we can further assist you . Thank you

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    08-20-2019 09:41 PM
    Can you post a screenshot of your battery stats?
    08-20-2019 09:42 PM
    Ok signup complete. How do i post a screenshot... sorry I'm a total noob here... all i see is a text box that says submit answer
    08-20-2019 10:21 PM
    I have the screenshot but i don't see a button to post a pic
    08-20-2019 10:23 PM
    Ok signup complete. How do i post a screenshot... sorry I'm a total noob here... all i see is a text box that says submit answer
    Hi, welcome
    You using chrome? Or the app?
    08-20-2019 10:24 PM
    Chrome. Didn't realize there was an app. I'll download... stand by
    08-20-2019 10:27 PM
    Use the forum app , much better
    Chrome. Didn't realize there was an app. I'll download... stand by
    08-20-2019 10:29 PM
    I'm in the app. Still don't see how to post a pic. sorry
    08-20-2019 10:38 PM
    There we go
    Attached Thumbnails Poor battery life-3001.jpg  
    08-20-2019 10:40 PM
    Ok great
    There we go
    08-20-2019 10:43 PM
    Can you pull up this page alsoPoor battery life-screenshot_20190820-224439_settings.jpeg
    08-20-2019 10:45 PM
    Guess my usage is more than I realized. But I swear battery used to last twice as long with this much usage or more
    Attached Thumbnails Poor battery life-3003.jpg  
    08-20-2019 10:54 PM
    Your battery usage looks good
    Guess my usage is more than I realized. But I swear battery used to last twice as long with this much usage or more
    08-20-2019 10:55 PM
    So this is standard for note 9? This chart may not be reflective of it but there are times it'll drop 3 percent in the time it takes to type this message. I'm positive there has been a notable large dropoff in battery life since out of the box. No doubt in my mind whatsoever
    08-20-2019 11:08 PM
    So this is standard for note 9? This chart may not be reflective of it but there are times it'll drop 3 percent in the time it takes to type this message. I'm positive there has been a notable large dropoff in battery life since out of the box. No doubt in my mind whatsoever
    You have in medium power saving mode , so you definitely supposed to be getting good battery life
    You need to get it charged to 100 percent to reset the stats and wait until 20 percent take a screenshot get a better picture
    08-20-2019 11:20 PM
    Ok I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your time and help
    mustang7757 likes this.
    08-20-2019 11:29 PM
    Ok I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your time and help
    Ok, your welcome!
    08-20-2019 11:32 PM
    Any app that shows you videos is going to suck up lots of power: Instagram, youtube, any web browser looking at pages showing videos.

Any app that has a white background will use less power if you manually switch it to dark/night mode.

Check the phone signal strength at locations where you spend lots of time. Weak signals will cause the phone to use more power to talk to the towers. At home and work, if you have the wifi-calling feature, you might give that a try if your phone signals are week.

If you have week signals, email apps and social media apps that constantly check for new posts will use more power than expected.
    08-21-2019 12:01 AM
    Thanks for the tips. I have addressed all of that except the mobile data. I do have a somewhat weak signal at home so have switched off mobile data to see if that helps.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much, maybe it's not as bad as I think. It doesn't seem to me to be near what it was out of the box, even with power save mode but I haven't monitored battery use long term, so I have nothing to compare to statistically
    08-21-2019 05:51 PM
    I should probably explain more thoroughly. When I say battery drains fast, I don't mean a few hours and the phone is dead. What I mean is, for roughly about the same amount of use and taxation on the battery, it only seems to last about half as long as it did out of the box. It will last most of the day, which is still pretty good battery life. But when i first got the phone, i could go all day, wake up the next day and still have 30% left. Now, I'm running dead having to charge by late afternoon/evening, and that's with power save mode, screen brightness turned down, apps restricted to run in background, etc etc. Battery just doesn't seem to last nearly as long as it used to. Maybe this is normal as the battery ages and is charged many times, I dunno. Insted of poor battery life, I should've said poor battery life compared to what it used to be. Hopefully that gives a better understanding of what I mean by battery draining fast
    08-21-2019 06:16 PM
    When you are viewing the battery usage screen, does the 3-dot menu have something like "view all" or "include system" ?
    08-21-2019 06:20 PM
    Negative ghost rider. It has "hide os and system apps"

Don't know if you had a chance to read my earlier posts or if it's relevant but i had a period of maybe a couple months where i was very heavily streaming videos. Maybe 6 hours a day or more. Right after that is when i noticed the difference in battery life. Don't know if it has anything to do with it but that's exactly when it started. (I'm not streaming videos like that anymore, just using phone normally)
    08-21-2019 08:54 PM
    Had an extended period where i was very heavily taxing the battery, having to recharge often. Ever since then battery hasn't seemed the same. wondering if it could be related or if the timing is just coincidental
    08-21-2019 09:00 PM
    Its also worth noting Bluetooth and location suck a lot of power even in this day and age.

What you can try is do what I do with every new phone. remove/disable any stock app your never going to use or install a force uninstaller app and force the app to remove it self.

that little bit helps a lot with battery. also you need to understand the chip in that phone is not as good with battery as they say it is and the screen sucks a lot as well.
    08-21-2019 09:02 PM
33 12