Can't change S7 phone from 3G to 4G.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but that screenshot doesn't give us much helpful information. What's the exact model number of the phone, and which carrier are you on? There can be multiple variants of a phone, and some variants might not support your carrier's network bands.

blue groper

Jul 6, 2018
Visit site
I took a photo and downloaded it so I could post the pic. Have you any ideas why I cant select 4G and lock it in? It shows LTE when outdoors, but reverts to 3G when inside. When inside the phone is very slow, mainly trying to send photos in a text message.
Cheers blue groper

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I took a photo and downloaded it so I could post the pic. Have you any ideas why I cant select 4G and lock it in? It shows LTE when outdoors, but reverts to 3G when inside. When inside the phone is very slow, mainly trying to send photos in a text message.
Cheers blue groper
Sounds like a carrier issue, which do you use ?

blue groper

Jul 6, 2018
Visit site
I'm in Australia and use Telstra. I was in their shop this morning and they didn't think it was their problem. Maybe I should contact the company I bought the phone from as it could set up wrong from there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Cheers blue groper

Does it drop down to 3G inside any building, or only certain ones? Cell signal can be pretty poor inside certain kinds of buildings, depending on their construction and depending on the carrier network.

blue groper

Jul 6, 2018
Visit site
In some it doesn't work at all and some the signal drops to 3G from LTE. The worst is at home. My old phone and my wife's all work on 4G but this one struggles on 3G and won't go to 4G. It goes to LTE outside, but that's not very practical.
Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I'll ask again -- what's the exact model number of your phone in Settings>About Phone? The reason I keep asking is that one of the S7 variants doesn't support 1 of the 3 LTE bands Telstra uses, and if you're in an area where that missing band is important, your LTE reception may suffer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That variant should support all of Telstra's LTE bands, so we can rule that out.

Go to Settings>Wi-fi and look for an option for Preferred Network Type. What's that set to, and what other selections does it give you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol