What causes distorted video in a Skype video call?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My contacts tell me my video is badly distorted with vertical lines during a video call using my cellphone (Motorola Droid Turbo, XT1254). It's so bad they cannot see me. This hasn't happened in the past and there is nothing wrong with the camera. A repair shop told me they don't know what's wrong either, but suspected the problem could be the result of a recent Skype update. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"Distorted" would be like printing your picture on a rubber sheet, then stretching it in all different directions. What you have sounds like noise. Find a repair shop that will do a quick Skype test with you, so you can see what they're talking about (and someone a little more technically advanced than you are can see - and maybe tell you what the problem is).

If it's not happening in videos you take, it's not the camera, so it could be that Skype got corrupted somehow, or that their server has a problem. (It can't be a weak signal - digital video doesn't get noisy when it's weak, it pixelates.)

Tango_bravo_1

Sep 8, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
I signed up with Android Central as Tango_bravo_1. I've never used these forums so I'm a little unsure on how to navigate.

I first noticed this problem a couple months ago but thought at the time it was due to a poor connection. The camera is fine but the problem persists.

I've already deleted and reinstalled the Skype app a couple of times (version 8.51.0.80).
Cleared the cache and rebooted and also did a hard reset on the phone (Droid Turbo, Android 6.0.1).
Nothing I've tried has solved the problem and Skype support hasn't responded yet.
Also, this problem exists whether I'm on the Verizon network or using wi-fi at home.

I took the phone to a local repair shop. The technician suggested that the phone may not be compatible with a recent Skype update. That may be possible but doesn't sound very likely to me. Seems like a software issue to me (maybe a corrupted file) but I have no way to diagnose the problem.

I'll try to get a screen shot posted.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
I signed up with Android Central as Tango_bravo_1. I've never used these forums so I'm a little unsure on how to navigate.

I first noticed this problem a couple months ago but thought at the time it was due to a poor connection. The camera is fine but the problem persists.

I've already deleted and reinstalled the Skype app a couple of times (version 8.51.0.80).
Cleared the cache and rebooted and also did a hard reset on the phone (Droid Turbo, Android 6.0.1).
Nothing I've tried has solved the problem and Skype support hasn't responded yet.
Also, this problem exists whether I'm on the Verizon network or using wi-fi at home.

I took the phone to a local repair shop. The technician suggested that the phone may not be compatible with a recent Skype update. That may be possible but doesn't sound very likely to me. Seems like a software issue to me (maybe a corrupted file) but I have no way to diagnose the problem.

I'll try to get a screen shot posted.
Hi, welcome!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=737130

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I took the phone to a local repair shop. The technician suggested that the phone may not be compatible with a recent Skype update. That may be possible but doesn't sound very likely to me.
Considering the age of the phone, it sounds spot on to me (with decades of experience in hardware and software).

Seems like a software issue to me
Definitely, but since you can't update the phone past about Marshmallow, there's not much you can do about it.

(maybe a corrupted file)
No, maybe an incompatible Skype app. Try https://mega.nz/#!9QhFhQBA!6u9dgxsYqWtUNJq5ySbMlppbFxjlfyoM0Sy-tlZNPBM It's from 2014, so it will probably work. (Unless Skype doesn't allow it to connect - but it did when I saved it.) Uninstall the current one (clear cache and data for the app first), restart the phone and install the .apk file.

Tango_bravo_1

Sep 8, 2019
Visit site
I tried your solution again, just to be sure I hadn't missed anything: deleted Skype, shut down the phone, cleared the cache partition, rebooted the phone and re-installed Skype. Still have the same problem, but thanks for the suggestion.

Tango_bravo_1

Sep 8, 2019
Visit site
Well, here's an update: I remembered this problem started earlier this year but I didn't recall exactly when. So, acting you your advice, I looked for an earlier APK file. APK Mirror has many to choose from so I installed 8.36.0.52, dated December 12, 2018. Problem solved! This means that the problem exists in one of the 22 updates since last December, and, as was suggested earlier, is probably due to software incompatibility. The newer updates are no longer compatible with the Android version on my older phone (6.0.1). If/when I have time, I may try successive updates until I find the one that actually caused the problem. BTW, I never got a response to my support request at Skype, but thanks to everyone here who helped!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, here's an update: I remembered this problem started earlier this year but I didn't recall exactly when. So, acting you your advice, I looked for an earlier APK file. APK Mirror has many to choose from so I installed 8.36.0.52, dated December 12, 2018. Problem solved! This means that the problem exists in one of the 22 updates since last December, and, as was suggested earlier, is probably due to software incompatibility. The newer updates are no longer compatible with the Android version on my older phone (6.0.1). If/when I have time, I may try successive updates until I find the one that actually caused the problem. BTW, I never got a response to my support request at Skype, but thanks to everyone here who helped!
Thats great! Thanks for coming back and letting us know.

Tango_bravo_1

Sep 8, 2019
Visit site
Here's another update to the problem I recently reported. Today I took a chance and updated the Skype app to version 8.53.0.104 on my Motorola Droid Turbo. To my surprise, the video call function is working perfectly again. I never got a response from Skype but somewhere along the line one of the recent updates must have fixed the problem. Just thought I'd let everyone know.